best boots for hunting for elk in the rockies in Colorado

How much money you got?  8)

I'm looking for some new boots too.  I need a cheap, light weight, little insulation, and cheap.
Did I mention cheap?

coloelko said:

I'm looking for some new boots too.  I need a cheap, light weight, little insulation, and cheap.
Did I mention cheap?

man dont sell your feet short it took me a year and a half to get my foot healed up from poor boots hunting elk in the mountains watch Camofire.com they have great prices on good boots.  now i dont hold back to much when it comes to boots but i still am a budget guy so this is what i do.

i would love a 400 dollar pair of kenrics etc but a great pair of boots is danner pronghorns danner has a couple good mountain boots  or irish setter has several like the gun flint elk stalker or blackbear mostly leather i prefer little to no insulation in them my hunting partner like nomore than 400 gram insulation we walk and side hill what seems to be all day my feet in both of these brands do great. and you can get into any of them for 200 bucks sometimes a little less some times alittle more depends on the sale

TIP: i always take two pair of boots with me and a pair of camp shoes a light comfy slipper.

Look at Meindel boots. I got some Ibex 200g ins from Cabellas. 10 yrs so far in Sierras,Rockies and NM.

cowboystl1 said:
coloelko said:

Did I mention cheap?

man dont sell your feet short it took me a year and a half to get my foot healed up from poor boots hunting elk in the mountains watch Camofire.com they have great prices on good boots.  now i dont hold back to much when it comes to boots but i still am a budget guy so this is what i do.

i would love a 400 dollar pair of kenrics etc but a great pair of boots is danner pronghorns danner has a couple good mountain boots  or irish setter has several like the gun flint elk stalker or blackbear mostly leather i prefer little to no insulation in them my hunting partner like no more than 400 gram insulation we walk and side hill what seems to be all day my feet in both of these brands do great. and you can get into any of them for 200 bucks sometimes a little less some times alittle more depends on the sale

TIP: i always take two pair of boots with me and a pair of camp shoes a light comfy slipper.

I've been looking at the prong horn for a while actually. Thanks for your 2 cents!

My favorite boots so far are the Meindl Denali from Cabelas.  I'm done with Danners, the original pronghorns I had were comfortable but the waterproofing didn't last long, boots wore out way too quickly, I tried another model of Danners but they didn't hod up any better and I was always hiking around in wet boots.  I'm 2 years into my Denalis and they still look and feel like new.  No leaks yet.

ElkManDan said:
My favorite boots so far are the Meindl Denali from Cabelas.  I'm done with Danners, the original pronghorns I had were comfortable but the waterproofing didn't last long, boots wore out way too quickly, I tried another model of Danners but they didn't hod up any better and I was always hiking around in wet boots.  I'm 2 years into my Denalis and they still look and feel like new.  No leaks yet.

thats a good lookin boot whats it run? i took a pair of cabela silent stalker boots last year as a back up boot caught them on sale for 100$ they were gortex and performed fair wish they had more arch support. i wouldnt want to side hill all day in them but in a pinch on a trail they werent bad

I like my Lowa Tibet pro gtx for early season and have the Lowa extreme hunter for when its a little cooler, very tough and comfortable boot. Top quality that's for sure.

the best boot is the one that fits you best.  you can spend 800 bucks on a well made pair of boots but if they don't fit you well....they aren't worth the 800 bucks you spent on them.

Mine are Lowa Tibets.  Great boots that fit me perfectly.

cowboystl1 said:
ElkManDan said:

thats a good lookin boot whats it run? i took a pair of cabela silent stalker boots last year as a back up boot caught them on sale for 100$ they were gortex and performed fair wish they had more arch support. i wouldnt want to side hill all day in them but in a pinch on a trail they werent bad

If I remember right somewhere between $250 and $300.  I figured I'd have to get a few seasons out of them to make me feel like I got my moneys worth out of them.

I also have the meindl denalis.. Awesome boots!! Hunted from Wyoming to AZ in them.. Love them!!! The juice is worth the squeeze!

I use the Meindl Perfekt model. I bought them 7 years ago, and they're still in great shape with no leaks. I wear them everyday, and hike/scout 250 days a year plus hunting  and fly fishing mountain creeks in the Rockies.

I never used to get more than 2 years from boots before these. I'm going to have these resoled. Something i've never done on hunting boots before, because they fell apart.

I'm thinking I can get another 7 years out of these. They were comfortable right from the box too. I can't ask for more from a boot than these have given me.

I wear La Sportiva Karakorams. La Sportivas have always got my feet well, I've had two pairs in 10 years. The first pair bit the dust after wearing them for 10 hours a day 6 days a week for 4 years. The new ones (new is about 5 years old) only get worn about 100 days a year and almost always on dirt. They look like they'll last at least another 5. Only drawback is that they're a little steep at $300.

Asolo boots fit my feet right out of the box. I have worn different models for the last 14 years. Here are 2 pair of Fugitive GTX. The pair on the left are 5 years old with over 1000 hard miles. I even where them in the winter with gaiters cougar hunting if it is not to cold.

Attachments

• boots.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 11
I went with kenetrek they are great and fit me well.  I have heard several instances of ankle problems as far as rubbing and waterproofing issues.  Myself I haven't had either issue and sounds like the heel rubbing has somewhat been taken care of.  They are pricey but to me it was worth the price.  They take some breaking in but that wasn't bad either.  Best of luck and a lot of it depends on budget and doing exactly what you are doing and asking questions.

Yeah I agree with you, cheap boots is the killer for your legs. When I was just starting to hunt, I found cheap boots and then was thinking "Oh how lucky I am", but then my legs were in such pain it was hell for me. After my first hunt I found this web.  So please be careful with boots that you choose.

I love my Zamberlans. They're the Vioz. They're pretty stiff but really comfortable and fit me like a glove. They're pretty aggressive but not overly heavy or clunky. I've had them for 4 years now. I've always felt like boots are disposable because the "lesser" brands leak within a year or two. The updated "hunting" model is here but if you google around I'm sure you can find a pair on sale. I've seen them on sale a lot lately.

Great question...unfortunately, there's no magic bullet answer IMO.
I've tried Rocky, Kenetrek, and Soloman over the last four years in the ID mountains, and have had issues with all of them.
Keep researching and try your best to match your individual foot performance to the boot type.  For example, I've learned that my feet sweat profusely, and that a stiff mid-sole is important for all day hiking in rocky / steep terrain.  Ultimately, my boot choices have performed exactly as they should have...which has resulted in either wet/swollen feet that get blisters due to lack of ventilation or tired/aching feet and legs due to lack of mid-sole stiffness.
I'm trying out Crispi Valdres GTX boots as of this week since they are all leather uppers with a mesh/breathable tongue and stiff mid-sole.
BL - boots are never one type/brand fits all! Research and experimentation are your best options.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back