Board heads

AJHURD

Dec 28, 2012
What do you prefer when you’re hunting? A fixed broad head or a mechanical broad head?

I had bad experience with mechanicals on my very first elk hunt in 2002, which resulted in me losing a big 6x6 bull, I have not shot a mechanical since. I have always had great success with muzzy’s. I know there’s a lot of choices on the market today and want some input from other hunters.

Mechanicals not legal in Idaho either and I have been a Slick Trick follower.  I know that others work great as well, but I don't see a need to mess with something that is working fine for me.

Used the G5 Strikers 100 grain this fall for the first time- SCARY sharp! Used the Montec's for years before that with great success, just not as sharp as the Strikers.......

AJHURD said:
Ihave not heard of Montec's, I will have to check them out

Montec's are a great broadhead!  I have used them for the past 5 years or so and wouldn't use anything else.  I use the 85 gr heads and they are deadly! 

They are made by G5 Outdoors. 

archery288 said:
AJHURD said:
I have not heard of Montec's, I will have to check them out

Montec's are a great broadhead!  I have used them for the past 5 years or so and wouldn't use anything else.  I use the 85 gr heads and they are deadly! 

They are made by G5 Outdoors.

I have been using the 85 grain montecs since 09, killed 4 elk with them. I love those heads. Thought about going to a 100 grain though.

I am with wothers, love the Montecs and shoot a 100 grain G5...I have taken bulls with Muzzys', Thunderheads and Satelites as well. 

slick tricks or shuttle-Ts have always been my favorite fixed blades.  I used NAP spitfire maxx broadheads this year for deer and was very impressed!  I would highly recommend the spitfires for anything smaller than mature bull...

Been shooting 85 gr Thunderhead but am looking at Trophy Ridge Exodus also 85 gr. I like that the Exodus has 40 thousands blade thickness.
KJ

Shot my elk with an Exodus 100 gr. full blades @52 yds and it went thru it like butter out of a 62 lb. bow.  Scary sharp heads.

i am a recent shuttle T fan. I switched from a montecs. they are not quite as strong but fly just as good or better and are much sharper IMO.

with what is out there right now, i would not shoot a mechanical. i know people have had success with them but they are not for me. with a proper tune and practice, there is no reason you can not get a fixed head to fly as good. its not about what works when everything goes right, its about what works when things go wrong.

well i wanted to use some expandables but they are illegal in Idaho so i don't use them so with that being said i use Slick Trick standard 100gr.

Well had I known this thread was already started I would not have started one.  sorry to jack your responses.  I've had many people suggest the montecs so I am considering those.  I am also looking at the VPA broadhead.  Look very well built and made out of tool steel. supposed to hold an edge very well

used muzzy fixed for years and had great luck with them and at a low price,New bow last year and switched to carbon arrows and mech broadheads only because I stretched my max shot from 65 yards to 90 yards,mech fly better at the extra distance.other than that  a razor blade is still a razor blade.both work great for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back