Board heads

I shoot the G5 striker now and like it. I have also shot the Rocky Mtn blitz too and liked it but can't find it any more so made the switch to the striker. Also have tried the G5 T3 and was not impressed with it. Thinking about switching to the Rage. Have seen it in action twice now and have been impressed with it. Was always concered about the durability of them put both shots that I witnessed both smacked square into the should blade and both went completely through it. You could actually see where the blades had opened and made it through the bone and were still intact.

Fixed! I shoot a Montec 100 gr. BH and been able to retrieve animals all within 100 yards.  If you hit them in the right place they will go down.

I shoot the G5 Montec, Mechs are not legal in WA.

I'm still not sure why anyone would use a mechanical anyway. What is the purpose for the them? With a fixed there 0% chance of anything going wrong :)

Fullabull said:
I shoot the G5 Montec, Mechs are not legal in WA.

I'm still not sure why anyone would use a mechanical anyway. What is the purpose for the them? With a fixed there 0% chance of anything going wrong :)

Better flight especially in high wind situations, more forgiving of form issues, usually a larger cut.
As an aside I have had a couple of fixed blade broad heads fail on me.

I can see the high wind thing a little but it would have to be a real long shot to make that much difference. As for form issues, form is form if it's off so will your shot be. I know that they are easier to shoot with bows that are not tuned as well because they will fly more like your practice tips. This the main reason why a lot of folks use them. I have hear way to many people talk about not being able to get fixed blades to fly right so they end up shooting mech's. You can get any fixed blade to shoot well from a well tuned bow but none of them will fly well from a bow that is not tuned well. That's just my opinion but it doesn't mean much since they are not legal here anyway :)

Used Magnus Stinger Buzzcut on elk in the past.  Used an Ulmer Edge Mech. this year on deer and it really did the trick.

Now considering it for elk.

the reason I use a mechanical for smaller game is the larger cutting diameter...when I'm shooting them at 20yds I could kill them with a fixed blade too, but they die faster and leave a better blood trail with the mechanical and a pass thru.  For the cut on contact one piece fixed blades I believe the VPA and the Snuffer are the best since they are machined and the Hellrazor and Montec are molded.

stablebuck said:
the reason I use a mechanical for smaller game is the larger cutting diameter...when I'm shooting them at 20yds I could kill them with a fixed blade too, but they die faster and leave a better blood trail with the mechanical and a pass thru.  For the cut on contact one piece fixed blades I believe the VPA and the Snuffer are the best since they are machined and the Hellrazor and Montec are molded.

and the vpa is tool steel.  how you like it?

Slick tricks are my current favorite for my compound and stingers for my recurve. I like heads that are tough and sharp. I haven't tried a lot of brands, but I've never had any that didn't fly true. Once I started getting better at tuning my bow I realized the head doesn't make much difference in accuracy.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
stablebuck said:

and the vpa is tool steel.  how you like it?

much tougher than the hellrazor...I've had those chip very easily...I like the option of the non-vented models as well...

Love The Slick Trick 100grn magnum. Illegal to shoot expandable in my state, so don't know anything about them

G5 strikers for me....Super sharp. Why take a chance on a possible mechanical broad head malfunction. Fixed will never malfunction.

I made the mistake of trying a popular mechanical broadhead a few years ago.  Had my first shot ever at an elk and the head completely snapped when it hit the animal.  There was very little penetration and I just felt sick about it.  Stopped using the mechanical heads then and there.

Since then I've used the Muzzy MX-3 and have really liked them. 

slick tricks 100 gr. magnum.  fly great, group well out to 80 yards and are extremely sharp.

My thoughts are that any broad head will work with a great shot, its the bad shots that you need a good head to save you on.

4 years ago I was hunting and had a group of cows in front of me, we had maybe 10 minutesof legal light left, and I decided to take one. The shot was heavy quartering away, and when I shot, the alert cow whirled even further around and it resulted in a horrible hit - right in the back of the hind quarter, angled up toward center body. I was immediately sick. Much to my surprise, that cow went 80 yards and fell over. When I inspected the damage, my head completely severed the top leg bone, shattered the entire left hip, and buried all the way up to the fletch. The head that caused this ridiculous damage was a slick trick, and it was on the front end of a 500 grain easton axis. I have no doubt that a lesser head would've resulted in one long night. Luckily, that was the only time I've had to rely on a head to save me like that, but it certainly gave me 150% confidence in my gear.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back