Call Review; The Good, Bad and Ugly

\"Glacier Country\" said:
\"Deertick\" said:
Hey, Troy ... I\'m a horse guy ... tell me more about what you mean about horses and elk being similar.

(Taste? :lol: )

No, I mean, are you talking about body language or actual verbalizations?

Mostly Body language, and interaction with each other as a herd, Horses Show dominance express a Tone in body language, snub you by pointing there rear at you pinning ears, ringing the tail All are visual signs of Tone Mood, dominance ... But listen to there whinnies that will tell you about their mood as well. Tone , intensity and Pitch. I am hoping flystraight will chime in on thais as well.

Thanks Troy, let\'s me see if I can put this into words I not very good about writing conversations so bare with me.

When you look at the horse comparison, there are two things that I have found that have helped me relate to what elk react to. They are both heard animals domesticated or not and they communicate in there own ways.

1) Body language

I look at this from several ways. One when a storm starts to blow in the are very active once the storm has arrived they hunker down or look for some type of shelter, or even just stand still with their buts to the wind. After the storm blows through they become active again. I take this to the elk woods and hunt hard before and after storms. Dominance when you feed you always will see some type of pecking order same with a herd they have one as well from older cows, lead cow to herd bulls during the rut. What I mean by this for me as I only hunt mature bulls right or wrong, is go into a pen with a Stud that has not been handled much he will either try to chase you out to show dominance or he will stay away. What triggered him to show dominance either by his nature or by the pressure you put on them. I have more examples if interested that has helped me.

2) Vocal communication

Its pretty simple for me. I try not to learn a new language but here are a couple key triggers for me. When horses challenge each other most likely you will hear a loud short squeal or scream what do elk do Hmmm. When a horse is out away from a herd each one a a little different but they will usually whinny soft soft and some loud calling to the others very distinctive isn\'t it? Very basic communication but you instantly recognize it when you hear these sounds. Tone, Pitch and intensity! I use this same philosophy when I hear and elk and how I want to react.

I hope this gives a little bit more of the comparison. I\'m not very good about writing it out!

Thanks
Craig

\"flystrait\" said:
What triggered him to show dominance either by his nature or by the pressure you put on them. I have more examples if interested that has helped me.

I think there\'s something here about why some want to fight, and some slink away.

Dead on and to the point John. Back to the horses and elk thingy. Both animals have a pecking order. Some like to knit-pick or fight while others would rather shy away.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back