Camp Whack - AK - Moose 2016 - Story & Pics

As it was nearing dark, I gutted the bull and we got the hell outta there, not wanting to encounter a bear with a gut pile and a dead moose

We came back the next morning and started butchering and packing meat the 1/4 mile back to camp

7 hrs later, we had 525lbs of meat back at camp

Attachments

• DSCN8217.JPG
    455.8 KB · Views: 373
Now here is a tip.

If someone you go hunting with tells you that they have a pack frame you can use, confirm what it is.

My buddy had a couple CampTrails POS frame packs and I coulda kicked him in the crotch after packing that bull out.

The waist belt didt latch and there wasnt any load lifters

My shoulders are still sore from navigating spruce trees and willows in hip boots

Im guessing the head & rack weighed 130lbs

Attachments

• DSCN8189.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 371
  • DSCN8192.JPG
    472.6 KB · Views: 367
  • FSCN8202.JPG
    551.7 KB · Views: 367
Sunday morning was our extraction time.

We got up and packed up the camp and the pilot arrived to start hauling meat and gear

Attachments

• DSCN8219.JPG
    473.1 KB · Views: 369
The pilot was a great guy.
Had some good stories for the trip out

Attachments

• DSCN8227.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCN8225.JPG
    458.9 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCN8222.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 368
I am very pleased and thankful with having the opportunity to go to Alaska and hunt moose
Being successful was truly a blessing!

I put together a video of some of the above pics and some more BONUS video footage :):)

Enjoy and thanks for coming along on this hunt

[media]https://youtu.be/J0fK8XUyKcc[/media]

brad, did you take the 44 with you or borrow it. that bear scat would scared the scat out of me. you doin a euro mount or shoulder, what did you do with the meat.
thanks for taking us along. congrats

I think I enjoyed it, not being there, as much as you did being there...

Thanks for allowing me to be a small part of you adventure of a lifetime...

Thanks for taking us along, really enjoyed that.

The large tarps you used where they just normal large plastic tarps?

And if you don\'t mind me asking, what is the budget for a hunt like this with everything, meat processing, flights, etc?

And that is a incredible Bull

\"bnsafe\" said:
brad, did you take the 44 with you or borrow it. that bear scat would scared the scat out of me. you doin a euro mount or shoulder, what did you do with the meat.
thanks for taking us along. congrats

Scott

The 44mag was Eric\'s. One of us always had a firearm at all times

Im doing a euro mount - rack will be shipped back in a couple months

We took the meat in to get processed. I got ~80lbs of already processed meat to bring back with me from Eric\'s friend.
My meat will replenish that and Eric will take the rest
I also gave the pilot 50lbs or so

\"Don K\" said:
Thanks for taking us along, really enjoyed that.

The large tarps you used where they just normal large plastic tarps?

And if you don\'t mind me asking, what is the budget for a hunt like this with everything, meat processing, flights, etc?

And that is a incredible Bull

Don

The tarps were the heavy silver/brown ones. Tough for sure
And an absolute MUST!! Bring 4our 10x20s tarps, Five would be better

There is plenty of variables to estimate the cost, many ways to save some $$$, and lots of ways to spend $$$

This trip will cost me about $4000-$4500 - Door to Door

I absolutely love all the pictures and that moose is just a MONSTER!

Thanks again for sharing your story and bringing us along, Brad!

Such a cool adventure, thanks for taking us along! What a great moose, congrats! My shoulders hurt for you - poor packs suck the energy right out of you. Outstanding trip Brad!

Great adventure, Brad ...and that is a BOMBER bull ! :shock:

Happy endings are always great...but the adventure itself was absolutely worthwhile :angle:

Thanks for the story Brad.... Congrats on a HUGE moose......

I wondered about that pack frame... I knew you didn\'t like the one you had and thought \"Why in the heck did he bring that thing?\" Your story answered my question. :lol:

Thank you Brad for taking us along and sharing in your success! Congratulations! From start to unbelievable finish!

Awesome bull Brad! Great write up and pics. Thanks for bringing us along and the updates through Phil! :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back