Frozen meal ideas for hunting.

iccyman001

Apr 30, 2014
After seeing Lark post about how he was cooking and freezing his meals, it got me thinking and I should be doing the same.

I usually am in my trailer, so I just cook the meal when I get back, but any way I can save time during these hunts the better.

So with that being said, what are some of your favorite things to cook before your hunt to heat up out in the mountains.

Colorado Russ was able to give me some good ideas so far.
I\'ll do: breakfast burritos, soft tacos with beans and cheese, spaghetti with meat sauce, boiled eggs, and meatloaf.

What else do you guys recommend?

Also, how far out do you prep and freeze your stuff?

I make chili or other soups and freeze them in single serving bowls. They stay frozen for 3-5 days in my freezer without running it. I just pull one out when it thaws or set one out to thaw. I warm it up in a small pot and just like home. :D

Great idea with the chili, Terry.

That sounds like something right up my alley and fairly easy to do.
I just need to set me up a real good recipe. :upthumb:

Thanks!

all over this!! saves ice in the icechest too! quick open, grab what you want and put it into the \"drink\" cooler. viola!! i freeze everything.

i love stews.
my mom\'s sticky rice.
tamales (bring a steamer basket) vitually zero cleanup.
i pre marinate things and just toss it on the grill.

i hate boiling pasta, so i skip sauces.
stewed meat for burrito stuffings..yum.

i portion out and make burger patties. crazy how fast they cook. plate of rice, a fried egg. dinner!

with my brother\'s trailer we bring a RICE COOKER. game changer for us chinese dudes. hahaa..

The stew also sounds like a great idea!!!!!

Thanks guys.

Cliff,
How do you get the rice cooker to work in the mountains?!?!

my brother is pretty \"city\".

he packs a Honda EU2000 generator. really just to run the coffee maker out of his pop up camper. very very posh.

i dont complain. one year, bless his heart. i did AZ couse solo. he felt bad and showed up and left me the pop up camper..set it up and left. he came back and finally hunted a few days with me and to get his rig back. it was like a damn palace climbing out of my janky tent and into that thing!!

i\'m ordering him one of those pressure bottle showers..\"city\"

Tamales. keep them frozen.

i bet one of those things is full of 500 calories and fat. good for breakfast and a quick lunch..and dinner. super super easy..and you dont even need a fork. it\'s like mexican powerbar.

Last year we did the cowboy mac and cheese (burger added to the mac and cheese and it sounds way better than Hamburger Helper), spaghetti, BBQ ribs, roasts with the veggies, casseroles, vegetable beef stew, etc. This year I have most of the above and added Chicken Parm and some Chicken Alfredo and brats and pasta. Yummy!

We freeze them in either gallon or the qt size freezer bags. I was told to use the freezer bags for what I do...when I get back to camp I boil the pot of water and put the bag of food inside. The bags can touch the side without burning through.

Cleanup is easy peazy, serve on paper plates and everything goes into the fire.

It made meals so easy last year I could never see washing another dish at camp...but we do enjoy a burger once in a while as well so we have to have the utensils for that. That\'s pretty much the only meal I cook.

I began preparing meals in June last year, this year I\'m a little behind but making progress. The freezer bags help prevent the food from getting gross in the freezer and the bags were recommended for the boiling process. :dk: Heck, maybe this is why my son is getting the migraines so often this year. :(

Forgot about chili and stews! Where I\'m hunting this year it won\'t be difficult to be back at camp for lunch or not much after dark so taking my hibachi and grilling each night.

Cliff, you bring some homemade tamales to OK and you\'ll be welcomed with open arms....in a very manly way!! My mother-in-law passed away last November at 90 and she\'s hispanic so we got tamales every Christmas. Between her and two sisters, they had over 200 years experience making tamales. Only one sister is left and I\'ll be getting with her and a nephew this fall to learn how to make them ourselves. Damn, hungry now!!

Dan, check the amp requirements on some of the gadgets like rice cooker - might be able to use a 1000W power inverter off a deep cycle battery. This is what I use for my shower pump but it doesn\'t have a heating element so pulls low amperage.

Also left off pulled pork posole with green chiles, fresh cilantro, squeeze of lime and a dollup of sour cream!! Dang work getting in the way of my concentrating on priorities!!

Elk sloppy joes.
Potato soup.
Grill up some chicken breasts and freeze them. Fast to heat up and eat.

\"F M\" said:
Elk sloppy joes.
Potato soup.
Grill up some chicken breasts and freeze them. Fast to heat up and eat.

Just remember the sloppy joe sauce :D

I failed that one in Kansas :(

:silent: I wasn\'t going to bring that up Dan. :shh:
I have mine all mixed already. Just heat them up.

I like spaghetti.
Search for my recipe and freeze in 2 serving portions in a vacuum sealer.
Even if it\'s not thawed, you can put it in hot water to heat up right in the bag.
No mess either

\"Colorado Russ\" said:
Also left off pulled pork posole with green chiles, fresh cilantro, squeeze of lime and a dollup of sour cream!! Dang work getting in the way of my concentrating on priorities!!

Gah!!!! I just ate and I want Posole!!!

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

\"F M\" said:
:silent: I wasn\'t going to bring that up Dan. :shh:
I have mine all mixed already. Just heat them up.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dang, you guys eat like kings..... I didn\'t stay out too late last year, and was glad my dehydrated meals took next to nothing for time to cook. and it was late by the time I was done eating. I cant imagine having the time to make these fancy meals :D

when i backpack hunt..
the air in my mouth sometimes taste better than the food. i HATE backpack meals. i eat them to live at that point..but i have never ever eaten one and said..\"oh yummy!\"

my frozen meals for truck camps..i plan them for speed. drag in..eat, re-supply my day pack (water, snacks), get my clothing back in order..and hit the sack. i get downright military-ish..i line up my boots so i can just jump in..laces loose, clothing laid out in the order i need to put it on. pack laid down straps out..bow hanging from a tree so it is the same temps as the outdoors..GAME ON!

i usually wont even build a fire at camp

and on a side note..it is crazy how my clothing gets. wadded up..and sometimes damp. yuck.

We have done a lot of frozen meals before including Chili, Shepherd\'s Pie, BBQ Pulled Pork, and a Barley Hot Dish. Another new favorite of ours is Carnitas burritos. Costco sells the carnitas and they are fully cooked and are as good as Chipotle\'s carnitas! They come in plastic packages, so just need to heat them in boiling water for a few minutes. Add some instant rice, a can of beans, and some cheese and you got a tasty dinner real quick! Another simple option is beer brats...just bring brats and boil them in beer until they are done.

\"cohunter14\" said:
Another simple option is beer brats...just bring brats and boil them in beer until they are done.

Whaaaa?????
I hope you use Coors! :haha:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back