furthest shot you will take ?

I think people get more fired up when people tell that they shouldn't be shooting long distance (over 50 yards in my opinion) but it really isn't saying you can't shoot that far it more of a matter of what the animal is going to do in that amount of time for the arrow to get to them. I had a bull jump my string this year at 38 yards (bad hit) just mad me sick!!! Still having a hard time thinking about it. I have a imposed max range of 40 yards (can shoot farther just don't) on game.

I think what happens is people use this exact argument as to why they take longer shots. Bad hits happen at 20 yards. Like many have said in this post, hunting conditions are much different than punching targets at a range. I know I could use a little more patience when hunting for sure. I still get to excited and want to get an arrow in an animal as soon as I can causing me to make bad decisions in the past. Definitely a learning experience each and every year.

I will stir this pot again ::)  What about frontal shots?  I practice out to 80 but won't shoot at an elk over 40.

Primitive said:
I will stir this pot again ::)  What about frontal shots?  I practice out to 80 but won't shoot at an elk over 40.

Only done it once at point blank range less than 10 yards. Idaho 5X6 down and only went 50 yards before tipping over.

Have never shot past 45 yrds but would shoot out to 60 with the right situation. Practice out to 80 which helps at closer ranges.

I wouldn't shoot past 30 but that's because I only practice at thirty.  I want to start practicing further and extend my effective range to at least 40 or 50.  I say shoot at whatever distance your comfortableshooting.  I've seen people on tv smoke deer at 90 yards

The way I look at it, each shot when it presents itself, gives you an impression.  I might be given a shot at 19 yards and not feel good about it!  Then, I don't take it!  As long as I practice and make sure my equipment is working properly than my confidence is high!  I would be lying to you if I told you I have never taken a shot over 70.  I would also be lying to you if I told you most of my kills are under 70!  When the shot presents itself, my gut tells me what to do!

soulsld said:
i shoot a 70# bow 28" dram and i can hit a 2" target at 70-80 yds i have never had to take a shot on an animal over 45-50 yds wondering what distance people feel is comfortable and ethical

Are you talking first or follow-up shot?  First shot is 50 yds or less.  Since I practice out to 90 yards and have pins up to that yardage, I would take a follow-up shot on a hit animal out to 90 yes.

Taken 14 Bulls with a bow. 11 of them 6 pt. or better longest shot was 54 yards, most were inside of 35 yards.

60 yds if my max with the conditions being right.  My farthest shot so far is 53.  I only have pins out to 60 and try to save that one if I'm presented with a second shot, but very confident and comfortable at that distance.

I have pins and practice out to 60, so thats the farthest I'll shoot, but to take a shot that far conditions would have to be perfect for a shot at an unwounded animal.  Once its wounded I would stretch it further.

60 tops.  All mine have been under 35 yards though.  I try to get as close as I can.

Closer the better and the adrenaline rush is compounded 10x over when they are in your face. 5 yds too close as they can see and sense everything little thing, 15 yds perfect.

Honestly I can shoot a lot farther than I should and I will practice out to 100 yards and it really helps those close shots. That being said, 60 yards is a long ways on an animal and in a hunting situation in hunting clothes with a backpack on, 60 yards is my max even though I will still try to get closer. Daniel

My slider will only go to 150 yards so I won't shoot any further than that :D .... Oh you mean at an animal  Took a bear at 80 yards but I no longer consider shooting unless I'm within 60 yards but even at that I haven't taken a shot at an animal over 40 yards in quite some time.

Depends on the weather conditions but would feel comfortable to about 60yrds. 70yrds with perfect conditions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back