furthest shot you will take ?

I practice out to 70 yards but probably would only take that shot if the bull was broadside and i had enough time to take a ethical shot.  Other then that i would probably say 50 yards.

I have my sights set out to 80 and practice all the way out to 100 with my bow.  All the animals I have shot at have been within 50 or less.  I think the further you go out the closer you get to that fine line of killing your animal or wounding it.  Shouldn't our goal as hunter's be to fill our tags not just shoot at whatever whenever.  I mean if that is all your doing then why buy a tag?

Look at all the hunters you all look up to and watch their videos.  They try to get as close as they can because they all believe in ethical kills and fast retrieves. 

I for one know my limits and will usually not even pull my bow back unless that animal is within 50 yards.  Just me.  I know some guys that can probably shoot a lot better than I can and can hit targets out to 80-100.  It is not about who can shoot the farthest rather are you a better hunter? Does shooting your game out farther than most make you a better hunter? IMO...NO! It is everything else, because if you can't do everything else then you won't get the chance to make that shot.   

I practice out to 75 but only shoot usually to around 40. I like archery hunting because I love the thrill of getting in super close. This is one of their topics that's kind of like a to each their own. If you practice and are comfortable with a shot then that's what matters. I would rather have someone practice and shoot an animal at 60+ yards than someone that picks up their bow once a year to go hunting and shoot at something 30 yards.

Every hunting scenario is different,  if an archer is proficient out to 80-90-100 then good for them.  I'am currently at 60/70 and want to go further.  Oh
My

i find this totally interesting that people that hunt elk in the timber are willing to take longer shots. I have shot a lot of bulls and of them only one have been over 20 yards. It was 40 and i ranged it. I can shoot farther but, fail to see the excitement in a 117 yard elk in the wind. One thing and that bull is wounded and lost. Yes this happens at close distances but your odds decrease with further distances, of a vital hit. Elk is about close and if you feel you have to shoot long range to get one i feel bad as you are missing the point. The success of an elk hunt isn't measured in a kill and the feeling of a loss should weigh heavier than it does for some people.

50 makes me nervous - too many variables. Everything is situation dependent, but I have certainly passed on shots at 50ish many times because it wasn't a good clean shot, or the elk were too much on edge or moving too much.

I understand that shooting at the range or in a calm mindset at targets, excellent accuracy can be had at long range, out to 100 yards (I have done it). I have never seen a test done on how much energy is left in say a 500 grain arrow at 60 yards. As soon as it leaves the bow it is slowing down. Not saying it doesn't have enough at 60 yards, but has any tests been done. Of course someone shooting 70# will have more energy than a 50# shooter.
I did shoot at a 60 yard cow twice the first year I bow hunted (missed both shots), but I do not believe I will do it again. 40 yards and under is my limit, hopefully 15 yards. That is the ultimate distance.

I am confident out to 90 yards and have tested penatration out to 90 but have passed at 10 before still has to fell like the right shoot no matter how far.

Turbo, wondering what type of 90 yard penetration test you did. Also, what bow arrangment as far as pounds, arrow weight,etc...I would like to do some testing myself. I am assuming your tests satisfied you that at 90 yards there is enough penetration with what combination you tested. Thanks for the info.

My current max range is 40 yards. I am honing my shooting skills to extend that to 60 although in 5 years as a bow hunter I have not been presented with a shot beyond 40 yards. 

Sneakfreak was that you shooting?! holy crap 117 yards is way out there. What is your set up? I personally will shoot out to 60 if the animal doesn't know I'm there.

nclonghunter said:
Turbo, wondering what type of 90 yard penetration test you did. Also, what bow arrangment as far as pounds, arrow weight,etc...I would like to do some testing myself. I am assuming your tests satisfied you that at 90 yards there is enough penetration with what combination you tested. Thanks for the info.
No scientific test just some basic test,I am shooting a hoyt trykon set at 75 lbs,easton  axis 340 arrow with 125g expandables,when I practice I normally will shoot sets of 5 ,4 practice tip with 1 target expandable,I have found they fly the same,am hitting in 8 inch groups consistently,have checked in cross wind up to 25 mph,For penetration at the target I use, at 40 yards i am getting on average 19 to 20 inch penetration and at 90 yards am still averaging 18 to 19 inch penatratoin.not scientific but I am ok with the results.Now thats not to say I will take any 90 yard shot,Things have still got to be just right.I have passed 10 yard shots before when it wasent a good shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back