furthest shot you will take ?

soulsld

Jan 2, 2013
i shoot a 70# bow 28" dram and i can hit a 2" target at 70-80 yds i have never had to take a shot on an animal over 45-50 yds wondering what distance people feel is comfortable and ethical

If this thread won't stir the pot, nothing will.

i won't guess yardage past 60 yards.  with a range finder, i am comfortable shooting out to 80.

I think 45-50 is probalby good... I feel comfortable with a shot out to 50 as long as the animal presents the right shot.

lol i hadnt seen this on the forum yet figured it would get good sit back have a beer and come back to 40 new and different posts

i guess also what weight broadhead is better the further your shot is ??? ;D
this almost as good a question

How about which bow is better, Hoyt or Mathews? I mean, you need to know so you can launch a 300 grain arrow at an elk 100 yards away right.  ;)

ALot depends on the situation but a good open ranged shot I will go 50 or a little over . Try to keep it to 35 or so.

In perfect scenerio will shoot out to 70 yards. Last 2 bucks I've taken were at 70 yards. Feeding and broadside on flat groundwith no wind both double lunged and one of them was actually a pass through at that distance. Having said that i passed up a couple 30 yard shots and some others that I was comfrotable with due to shooting lanes or what not. I consider it a "long shot" if you not comfortable with it and haven't proven to youself you can make those shots.

As hunters we owe the species we are hunting a good clean ethical kill.

Good clean ethical kill at 117 yards.

I haven't been presented with a further shot that I felt comfortable with...  ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sys8XJXYvOc[/youtube]

I practice out to 100 yards all summer but try to close the distance to inside 60 where I feel very confident.

I'll shoot out to 50 if  everything is right. I much prefer up close and personal, thats way more fun for me.. ther is nothing like a stinky, drooling,  screaming monster 10 yards away to get your heart puming.. yeah!!

Had several opportunities at 80 yards last season and never took a shot (always wanted to close the distance a little more and couldn't), but I don't look back on it and wish I had.  I've been really disappointed in some of the shots some other guys in my camp have taken, spending a day trying to unsuccessfully track down a wounded elk really rubs me the wrong way.  I think your shot on an animal should feel like a chip shot, if you think you're pushing it....time to let ur down and close the distance.  If 80 yards is a chip shot for you and the conditions are perfect...then I guess you could let one fly (just hope you realize the field is not the range and its going to be about a full second for your arrow to reach its mark).

wapiti_will said:
Had several opportunities at 80 yards last season and never took a shot (always wanted to close the distance a little more and couldn't), but I don't look back on it and wish I had.  I've been really disappointed in some of the shots some other guys in my camp have taken, spending a day trying to unsuccessfully track down a wounded elk really rubs me the wrong way.  I think your shot on an animal should feel like a chip shot, if you think you're pushing it....time to let ur down and close the distance.  If 80 yards is a chip shot for you and the conditions are perfect...then I guess you could let one fly (just hope you realize the field is not the range and its going to be about a full second for your arrow to reach its mark).

Well said wapiti_will, a man's got to know his limitations.

archery I can put my broadhead on the dot at 60 (depending on conditions)if need be. Muzzleloader, 100 yards might do 150 if conditions are right. Never had to shoot beyond 30 yards with either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back