How do I know if I need to trim my calls?

Philcox

Feb 15, 2021
I can make noises with my call, I have a green elk 101 call, but I see some folds in it, and I?m not sure how I would know if I need to trim it or not? Any insight is appreciated.

Phil

So long as you have a good seal and air is not escaping across the top (between the call and your palate) you should be fine.  Almost all the ones I've used have a fold in the middle after getting used.  I've never had any luck trimming the edges off the calls. 

If you do have a fold developing in the back of the call you may not have a good seal. It's more common in callers that set calls farther back in their mouths and they generally develop as the tape gets softer. Trying a notch isn't going to hurt. Start out small, half the width of the fold and half the depth to see if it flattens out and seals. You can always take more off but can never add it back.

sjl2012 said:
If you do have a fold developing in the back of the call you may not have a good seal. It's more common in callers that set calls farther back in their mouths and they generally develop as the tape gets softer. Trying a notch isn't going to hurt. Start out small, half the width of the fold and half the depth to see if it flattens out and seals. You can always take more off but can never add it back.

I've never heard it put that way.  Will have to try on some of the models that I struggle with.  Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back