How do you get your gear?

cnelk

Mar 23, 2017
Curious on how guys get their gear.

Do you buy new?

Used?

Shop for sales?

Do you have a sponsor and its free?

Look for sales and classifieds. One piece at a time.

Nearly online exclusive. Time is a hot commodity and never been a big shopper to begin with.

cnelk said:
Do you have a sponsor and its free?
Wouldn't that be nice?

Most of my gear is from birthday or Christmas gifts. Now that we have three young kids, I rarely spend money on myself for anything hunting related outside of the tags and trip itself. Back in the day I would seek out end of year sales or the Under Armour outlet nearby for good deals on clothing. Unfortunately Under Armour doesn't carry camo anymore at the outlet  :downthumb:

As an example, my most recent gun purchase was a combination of Christmas and birthday money that had been saved up.

Like big44a4 said, one piece at a time. The good news is most gear items will last a long time!

Kuiu.com. Haha

And massdrop ultralight section and elk101 recently.

Sales are great but a lot of the gear sold those places is worth the money when you?re out in the middle of no where.  So I spend the money if I have to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm kind of all over the place.

I've bought my bows used.
Optics are usually bought on a military/LEO discount.
Some gear I buy new, but generally when it's on sale, etc

I have adapted to the buy once cry once mentality and it has yet to disappoint. I get some discount for active military, but mostly I shop sales and use my networks for used equipment. Some folks I know upgrade everything almost annually, so I usually shoot them an offer on things they have duplicates of.

DTP said:
I'm kind of all over the place.

I've bought my bows used.
Optics are usually bought on a military/LEO discount.
Some gear I buy new, but generally when it's on sale, etc

this.  i'm all over the place.  half my camo is used.

i cant get my Brother off his butt to utilize his LEO discount..at this point i just want to pickpocket his badge and ID. 

As most a little bit of everything. Sales from WalMart to Kuiu and I?m getting some info a local store may put their guns on sale at close to 50% off soon. If so I may have a new 9mm. I am lucky to get to try out my son?s archery stuff as he get some stuff free or heavily discounted. I also get to meet a lot of accomplished archers at his tournaments and sometimes the archery company?s will have merchandise for sale that is heavily discounted. My most recent purchase was Ramcat broadheads on clearance at Walmart for $9 a pack!

Same as everyone else I guess. I bought my bow new but a year old so it was on sale. I got my hunting rifles from my Dad and Grandpa. I have everything I need at this point so anything I buy is either upgrading or replacing and when I buy something I try to buy the best I can afford. I used to buy cheaper items and then wished I had nicer stuff. Like with my tools for work, I rely on them so I buy higher end stuff and am rarely disappointed in equipment performance.

Except when it comes to clothes. I still buy mostly wool and cotton. I can't justify the high prices some of the manufacturers charge for hunting clothes. 

I very seldom buy anything... I already have more junk than I'll ever use and continue to give stuff to my kids and grandkids when they need it...

yooper89 said:
like Johnny Cash, I get it one piece at a time!

haha! I'm right there with you. I have equipment from all over the place. My gear setup is the hunting version of Johnny's Cadillac.

Another total piecer here.  Not much I can think of that wasn't garage sale, online, hand me down etc...  This weeks big find was Gold Tip arrows on clearance $9 per 4 pack.  Do what you gotta do when your on a tight budget.

A little new, a little used. None for free. Picked up my first couple pieces of Sitka used on eBay. Bought my Kenetreks at a RMEF banquet for half the price. Got my Yeti 60 at a banquet for $200. I?m a bargain shopper. One bow was new, the rest were used. I look at the price and figure the cost of new threads and decide if it?s a good buy.

Usually I try and get everything on sale unless I broke something and it needs to be replaced right away. Being in MT local business is important to support but sometimes isn?t the most cost effective but I try that first for firearms and accessories and certain hunting gear.

For camo I try and buy right after the new year between the phasing out of older stuff and the new line releases. 

Footwear I don?t buy online. Some people that works but not for my jacked feet.

Odds and ends camping, camp kitchen, backpacking stuff is generally REI or goHunt (RIDICULOUS rewards program)

Neighbor that tried hunting and didn't like it just had a garage sale.  Cabelas 8X42 binos with harness, two pair of boots, backpack Kelty tent, trecking poles, couple pair Cabelas late season pants all for $55 bucks.  Nothing used more than two or three times.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back