How do you get your gear?

Mostly buy new as the latest and greatest is just too tempting.  I've sold lots of older stuff that still worked great for me but the more I've gotten into backpacking, I want to keep things as light as reasonably as possible but not too extreme costwise!

:crazy:
COLOelkman said:
Mostly buy new as the latest and greatest is just too tempting.  I've sold lots of older stuff that still worked great for me but the more I've gotten into backpacking, I want to keep things as light as reasonably as possible but not too extreme costwise!

I agree. Temptation temptation.  I just like checking out my options and seeing and trying everything I can. I usually sell my older stuff as well.

Buy new, either by way of sales (black Friday in Missoula can be rewarding  :lol: ). My local bow shop here in WA does consignment of bows for store credit that can be used on any thing they carry, as well as frequent shopper discounts. RMEF banquets, and sometimes will use MIL pricing  i.e. Vortex, MTN OPS.

I buy new for the big items (tents, packs, bags....) but for the misc gear i love Camofire and Steep and Cheap

Craigslist is often overlooked but has worked well in some cases. Just picked up 3 pairs of Sitka?s timberline pants for 50$ a pair with the tags still on. Guy bought them for a bighorn sheep hunt, but then realized he couldn?t just go and buy a tag so he just gave up and sold all his gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few deals on Craig?s list. I got a badlands 2200 for 75 bucks and a badlands bino case for 50. The rest I have been cruising the sales isles. Danner pronghorns for 80 at my local ranch store. I got a used Hoyt from my local store. They threw  in all the used accessories for free. My camo doesn?t match but someday it will all come together. Now I am looking for a dirt cheap camper....

I shop for deals, but a large part of my gear I buy used thru forums like archerytalk and rokslide.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SouthernBowhunter said:
I'm just starting out as well. I am trying to pick up gear one piece at a time but I am conflicted by the buy once cry once theory.

It?s worth it to save and buy once. Or buy similar gear pieces for different functionality benefits. I?ve cried way tooooo many times trying to cut corners. Some gear items are universal but there are things that I?ve bought over and over I could?ve bought the nicer more expensive peice if I just would?ve saved and stayed to a stricter budget for things.

That being said I again look for deals here and there for upgrades or for a different purpose. 

if you can hold off I have found that cyber Monday is probably the best day to search out deals! got some great sitka bibs for a huge discount.

I buy stuff on sale or Cruz the forums. I?ve found some great deals in the forums.

I am all over the place as well.  Online, local sales , craigslist etc.  Over the last few years I have adopted the cry once buy once mentality. Buying the best I can afford when possible. I rarely change what works, I upgraded my bow last year first bow I purchased in 10 years, so I am not really a gear junkie, just use stuff that works.

Sportsmans, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Archery in the Wild, Online, it?s a sickness. I look for quality that will last.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back