How much longer?

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
Do you realize how long it is until archery season next year?

I am already:

1. Planning new scouting trips

2. Planning new practice regimens

3. Thinking of new arrows

4. New broadheads? (Nah ... them Viper tricks flat-out work!)

5. Oh, I\'ll need some new treestands

6. And new panniers

7. What about a new tent? I could use my current one for a spike, or sell it.

8. Who\'s going to be in camp next year? I need to plan for all of that.

9. I need to make some training goals

10. And maybe get a new camera to document the whole thing

11. I need to rethink the Jacoumo hat thing -- and find a new, easy-to-deploy version that I can make at home

12. And play around with that Slip-System thing (pronghorn season will help with that)

13. I need to get some new calls (I lost a majority of my calls somehow!)

14. And make sure that the people in camp with me are on the \"same page\" with calling as I am

-----

I\'m coming to think that it\'s a GOOD thing that it\'s a year away ... because I have that much work to do!

at least I am not the only one all ready thinking of these things.... :crazy: I am still a little depressed that its a year away :( but, I do need new arrows, down to only 5. definitely getting those grave digger broadheads. I am getting some sort of folding decoy. and I might pull the trigger on a go pro, the morning I shot my bull would have come out perfect on one, and I would have gotten to replay it over and over.... my xmas list is getting long!

I\'m with you guys. I\'m already working out for next year. Bought a camper shell for my truck and some wool socks. My Christmas list will be a long one. Too bad Santa can\'t bring me GPS coordinates for a new location, at least I have a year to research.

Please don\'t remind me it\'s a year away. That\'s depressing.

I like to think about it as just...........next season.

I think about all of this sitting in the tree stand hunting whitetails. Next best time is discussing it ice fishing while an elk burger hits the grill.
After returning the first thing I do is mark my excel spreadsheet I lay out and note whether its good or bad.
Marking maps of where and when I saw animals. Also marking where other hunters were is a big one I need to start doing. Finding new back up areas to hunt. Tried a few this year and they didnt play out. A scouting trip is in order to make \"my\" hunting area that much bigger. I am the opposite when it comes to working out right now....I went the other way with eating bad food and washing it down with some nice cold beers....the gym will wait at least until October.

I think you guys are all on the right path. It is always better to come home and immediately take notes for next year. What worked, what didn\'t. What did you bring to camp that you didn\'t use, what didn\'t you bring that you need. I find that if I write this stuff down once I get home, it is still fresh in my mind. I have tried to wait before and somehow I manage to forget a bunch of things, imagine that!

Not thinking about next year yet, I still got one weekend left. I will be back in the woods tonight trying to fill a bull and cow tag.

\"Pikemaster\" said:
Not thinking about next year yet, I still got one weekend left. I will be back in the woods tonight trying to fill a bull and cow tag.
Me too. Leaving around 2:00 to head up for one last shot. I will be capturing my end of season report in my journal.

Anybody figured out some way to improve your sleeping experience with a pad/ mummy bag setup? Dear Lord, I slept miserably up there!

Seems it gets worse as I get older :oops:

Other than that, it was all pretty smooth/ good.

\"elkmtngear\" said:
Anybody figured out some way to improve your sleeping experience with a pad/ mummy bag setup? Dear Lord, I slept miserably up there!

Seems it gets worse as I get older :oops:

Other than that, it was all pretty smooth/ good.

Jeff
I spent some $$ this past year to improve my sleeping gear.
I bought a Big Agnes Farwell 0 degree bag $160
I also bought a BA insulated core air mattress. $90
But in trial and error these weren\'t enough to keep from getting or being comfortable.

The BA bag has a sleeve for the air mattress but I also trimmed up a blue foam pad that I place between the bag and the air mattress.
This did the trick.
Overall weight is less than 8lbs

\"cnelk\" said:
Jeff
I spent some $$ this past year to improve my sleeping gear.
I bought a Big Agnes Farwell 0 degree bag $160
I also bought a BA insulated core air mattress. $90
But in trial and error these weren\'t enough to keep from getting or being comfortable.

The BA bag has a sleeve for the air mattress but I also trimmed up a blue foam pad that I place between the bag and the air mattress.
This did the trick.
Overall weight is less than 8lbs

Thank You, Brad!

I was also using a 0 degree BA bag with the same type of pad. I will be trimming up a foam pad this weekend!

I forgot to mention that I dont inflate the Insulated Air Core mattress full.
It works better for me to have it about 1/2 - 3/4 inflated as it isnt as rigid

\"cnelk\" said:
I forgot to mention that I dont inflate the Insulated Air Core mattress full.
It works better for me to have it about 1/2 - 3/4 inflated as it isnt as rigid

Interesting. I kept re-inflating it to rock hard fullness every time I\'d hit the sack...maybe that was part of my problem :think:

Jeff, I know you camped where you were able to drive your truck, so figured I\'d throw out what I do...I got one of the Cabelas XL cots a few years back and then a couple of years after that, got the cot pad for it. That cot is so big that it feels like you are sleeping on a twin bed. Combine that with the comfort of the cot pad and I have slept like a baby the last few years. I also have one of the larger sleeping bags (not a mummy bag) so it has room to move around in it. Definitely not the most compact setup, but it is extremely comfortable!

Here is a link to the cot: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...lProducts&Ntt=xl+cot&Ntt=xl+cot&WTz_l=Unknown

Here is the cot pad: http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...l%2BProducts&Ntt=cot+pad&WTz_l=YMAL;IK-580466

If you watch Cabelas, they typically will have a sale where you get the cot, the cot pad, a \'nightstand\' for it (a bunch of storage compartments for the side of the cot) and a cot tree that you can hang things on all included for one base price (right around $200 I think). Not the cheapest in the world, but VERY comfortable :upthumb:

\"cohunter14\" said:
Jeff, I know you camped where you were able to drive your truck, so figured I\'d throw out what I do...I got one of the Cabelas XL cots a few years back and then a couple of years after that, got the cot pad for it. That cot is so big that it feels like you are sleeping on a twin bed. Combine that with the comfort of the cot pad and I have slept like a baby the last few years. I also have one of the larger sleeping bags (not a mummy bag) so it has room to move around in it. Definitely not the most compact setup, but it is extremely comfortable!

Thanks Derek I will check out that Cot.

PM sent regarding a cot.

Yep ... this is probably the best time of year to plan things because the season is right there, fresh in mind.

I have a gander mnt xL cot the same as the cabelas cot with the thick pad from cabelas also. As Derek said it is great to sleep on.

\"Deertick\" said:
this is probably the best time of year to plan things because the season is right there, fresh in mind.

we always spend about an hour of the drive home compiling \"lessons learned\". I capture them all in a spreadsheet once we get back to town and review the whole list every year.

the next item to be entered into the Lessons Learned document will be #236. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back