Preferred camo brand/pattern???

SilverDollars said:
Howdy. Simply put, KUIU in VIAS pattern.  I'll see ya out there hunting, but you won't see me.

Well said. I like to sneak around the woods unseen. 

I live in Montana and KUIU performs for the weight and money spent well above anything I could purchase from REI.  You can't find a 0 degree bag that performs as well that is matched weight and performance. Just as an example. If there's another option I'd be more than interested to check it out.  Same thing with packs. They are meant to haul clothing and minimal gear at REI (I keep mentioning as it's our main "brand name store here in missoula mt) but hunting packs are meant to load haul and accommodate a wider variety of conditions and often times they are very seasonal items. Where as I feel with some of the technical clothing they are meant to be more adaptable and durable for the price point comparatively. 

However I do see your point about marketing ploys. I can't stand Sitka for the reason I'm a xl-xxl depending on the particular item base layer etc.  But in Sitka the 3x I can barely move in. I have broad shoulder and a thicker upper torso. A local rep could believe I put the double x on and did the Tommy boy"  fat guy in a little coat" thing and literally ripped the shoulder stitching. 

Anyhow I don't just wear kuiu. My socks are darn tough brand and my boxers I wear under armour baseball slide shorts. They do great at odor control and moisture wicking. The benefit is the pair I wear have extra cushion on the butt and thighs that make it great for glassing and getting into thick terrain where sometimes getting on all four during a stalk  or chilling and waiting with a rifle make them a fanstastic purchase.

Moral of my rant here is I get the marketing of certain items for appeal. Kuiu is the best I've found for my hunts in extreme weather and variable weather here in MT  and also I rock whatever works for me and is comfortable.

Kdkehoe said:
I live in Montana and KUIU performs for the weight and money spent well above anything I could purchase from REI.  You can't find a 0 degree bag that performs as well that is matched weight and performance. Just as an example. If there's another option I'd be more than interested to check it out.  Same thing with packs. They are meant to haul clothing and minimal gear at REI (I keep mentioning as it's our main "brand name store here in missoula mt) but hunting packs are meant to load haul and accommodate a wider variety of conditions and often times they are very seasonal items. Where as I feel with some of the technical clothing they are meant to be more adaptable and durable for the price point comparatively. 

These perform as well as kuiu's bags at about 1/2 the price, they're lighter andoffer water resistant down
https://enlightenedequipment.com/

If you don't get hung up on brand names and what's vogue (hunters are worse than teeneage girls in regards to fashion and what's hip), there's much better mtn gear out there than what's being offered by hunting companies. That said if you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick a hunting company to wear, kuiu is lightyears ahead of sitka and FL in their outerwear IMO. Base layers go to FL and Icebreaker

I suppose I'm just an old tightwad! But I'm not in to the hi priced, brand name stuff. For me, anything in Max-1 camouflage gets my vote. It works well here in the mountains as well as on the hi desert country.

Actually, the elk don't really care much about your fashion statement. Movement or the lack of movement is what makes or breaks your encounter with them.

To me, the expensive camo clothing is more about comfort than the actual camo pattern. The fancy stuff is just so damned comfortable. I had a buddy hunt with me last year in some camo from Walmart and he said it was like wearing trash bags around his legs. Total sweat factory. I tend to sweat very easily and the technology in these high-end clothing lines is hard to beat, comfort-wise.

backcountry_hunter said:
Kdkehoe said:
I live in Montana and KUIU performs for the weight and money spent well above anything I could purchase from REI.  You can't find a 0 degree bag that performs as well that is matched weight and performance. Just as an example. If there's another option I'd be more than interested to check it out.  Same thing with packs. They are meant to haul clothing and minimal gear at REI (I keep mentioning as it's our main "brand name store here in missoula mt) but hunting packs are meant to load haul and accommodate a wider variety of conditions and often times they are very seasonal items. Where as I feel with some of the technical clothing they are meantto be more adaptable and durable for the price point comparatively. 

These perform as well as kuiu's bags at about 1/2 the price, they're lighter and offer water resistant down
https://enlightenedequipment.com/

If you don't get hung up on brand names and what's vogue (hunters are worse than teeneage girls in regards to fashion and what's hip), there's much better mtn gear out there than what's being offered by hunting companies. That said if you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick a hunting company to wear, kuiu is lightyears ahead of sitka and FL in their outerwear IMO. Base layers go to FL and Icebreaker

Hey thanks for the great tip!  I'm a gear junkie for sure I'll definitely check them out!

i NEVER match.  i dont think i have an entire matching ensemble with any of my camo. 

i just buy things..IF i were to home in on a single pattern, i seem to like the First light, Fusion stuff. 

Any word on testing of the obsidian pants? I've heard the old kanabs used to snag easy and weren't very durable etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big44a4 said:
Any word on testing of the obsidian pants? I've heard the old kanabs used to snag easy and weren't very durable etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had a chance to test them in the field yet. Just trying them on, they are comfortable, they feel breathable, and they have plenty of room to move around in. I am 6', 195lb and usually wear a size 34 pant. The large fits well but has a slightly baggy fit in my opinion. The waist band has a few elastic areas that look like they'd still fit a guy with up to a 36+ inch waist. I assume that's why they are slightly baggy on me - to allow these to fit a wider range of body types.

The material feels strong yet thin. I don't see any areas that seem prone to snagging. I've seen 1 or 2 reviews on the FL website complaining of snagging, but it sounds like they were in some terrain that has plants that would snag just about anything. I won't be hunting in thorn bushes, so I think these will be great.

Cabela's Outfitter.  I think that means you have to buy their camo, but in my opinion most camo patterns are way too dark.  I've had my wife take pictures of me and often stand out like a blob, unless in really dark timber.  The lighter camos seem to work better and Cabela's outfitter has lighter and blander hues.

Sitka Optifade Open Country for me. The new Subalpine looks awesome, but I think the open country works just as well.

First lite cipher. This pattern seemed to be most likely to work for me in the few trips I'll make out west plus the oak swamps/pine thickets of Arkansas that I'll be in majority of the time

I like to mix up my camo pattern. I use ASAT on top, and this last trip used Firstlights Fusion pants. Some times I wear my old desert camo pants from OIF and OEF and a grey hoodie on top. My go to camo is ASAT though. It looks like shadows of branches and limbs with the sun shining through them. I stood in a small clearing maybe 20 yards across and had 5 elk pass within 17 yards of me. The bull did not see me even after I shot him.  :)

I spent 6 days in the Idaho backcountry with the new First Lite cipher gear on (obsidian pants, chama 3/4 zip + sawtooth jacket). I was not prepared for the weather that ensued. We had temps dipping into the 20's, snow, hail, heavy rain. I got drenched several times and I have to say that the First Lite gear rocked! I would've been happier with a bit of rain gear, but these clothes kept me warm while it was freezing and wet, dried quickly by the fire, and performed great throughout the day. I kept everything on the entire time, even sleeping in the clothes. Overall, I'm very pleased with the First Lite gear and I think all of their camo patterns are excellent. I'll be adding a few more wet weather items before next season.

Whatever is on sale at Wally World, Bass Pro, or Cabelas.  I'd like to be able to afford the high end gear, but not likely anytime soon.  I still manage to fill the freezer.

Heath74 said:
I use to have Sitka which I loved and is great camo. But since I live in Idaho I decided 2 years ago to support Idaho companies so I sold the Sitka and bought all FirstLite. I also sold my Tenzing pack and bought EXO. I really like the FirstLite Fuison. I dress FirstLite head to toe. However I know you can kill bulls in jeans (and I have) but I feel it can't hurt to ware camo.
Heath, I am with you. I like the Idaho companies. I use FL in ASAT for every day as well as hunting. I would like a EXO, but purchased an Eberlestock long before Steve started up EXO, and can't afford to get rid of the old and get the new.

Sitka Opti Fade works great for me. Also use First Lite for my merino base layers. My hunting group wears Kuiu and Prois also and everyone is happy with their choices. Go try on the gear or go to an outdoor show where all the big guys are and make a choice that way. Meeting the people who work for the companies and sizing you correctly makes a big difference if you're going to get geared up with the high end stuff in my opinion.

Pattern is somewhat irrelevant for me, however, comfort, quality, and resilience at a decent price point are what drives my purchases. That being said, I have run First Lite, King's, and Kuiu the past several years. As far as patterns go, the FL seems to be a bit less noticeable by game in the field by my experiences.

This year was my first year elk hunting and I jumped on the Sitka Subalpine. I love the pattern and the gear overall fit great. I liked the fact that I was able to try it on at my local Cabela?s. My buddy I went with went with Kuiu and he loved it. I think it is all on what fits best and what you like pattern wise the most.

Just got my first Sitka sub-alpine peice the other day:  Lightweight hoodie, really like it.

Otherwise, I love First Light Fusion and ASAT.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back