Preferred camo brand/pattern???

B

Bull_Fighter

What's everyone wearing in the elk woods this year? I've been wearing Under Armour the past several years, which was comfortable and did the job I needed it to. I just purchased my first set of First Lite gear (Obsidian pants, Kanab 3/4 zip, Sawtooth Jacket - in Cipher pattern). Can't wait to try it out! I've heard great things about the merino wool. The Cipher pattern is perfect for the areas I will be hunting.

What about you all? Any brand you're attached to? Or, maybe you could care less about these brands? I'm curious to see what opinions are out there.  8)

Black ovis makes some solid merino base layers (I just have the shirts) but for me can't beat the fit on FL pants. I workout on a regular basis and most other pants always seem to hug my quads (Sitka/kuiu). Even though they stretch and move it makes for a less comfortable hike.  Keep us posted on how the obsidian pants work. I like the guides for now but interested in those for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of patagonia, arcteryx, mountain hardware and montbell in earthtones for me. The little camo I will have on will be kuiu but that's because I already have it. Not all that long ago I felt if I owned the best hunting clothes money could buy, I'd at least be more comfortable (and therefore more effective ) when out in the elements. When I started being honest with myself and not buying into clever marketing and the "keeping up with the Jone's (buddies) mentaility we as hunters for some reason have to have with our hunting partners, I began doing an unbiased comparison based solely off performance of the materials. What I found is alot of the ski and mountain apparel companies already were making gear for vitrually every application I was asking my hunting clothes to do. But Mountain-wear companies were around long before sitka, kuiu and FL, and are often doing what the hunting companies are doing, better.... at less $$$.

I'm one of those that could care less. Some of the best hunters I know personally have killed in carhartts and kings camo rain gear. I don't buy into the "need optifade" or "need vias" to be more effective. More elk have died over the last 2 centuries by flannel and plaid than anything else. Of all the big game animals I've killed, I've never once felt that the camo I had on had an effect. The clothes have, but the camo could have just as well been solids.... every time. Others probably have 180 degree opposite views but I just don't buy into it anymore.

I've been an Under Armour guy for awhile, primarily because we used to be able to get it at the outlet store here in Colorado for ridiculous prices. Unfortunately they don't carry much of it anymore, so I haven't gotten near as much the last few years. But I have plenty of tees, 1/4 zips, and a few pants that should last for a few years.

I will say a lot of the newer pants are a little too form fitting for me. I just don't like my pants grabbing me the way many of the newer fits do, including Under Armour. I did try some of the new Sitka Ascent pants this year and they were pretty comfy. I'm thinking of grabbing a pair before the season starts.

backcountry_hunter said:
I'm one of those that could care less. Some of the best hunters I know personally have killed in carhartts and kings camo rain gear. I don't buy into the "need optifade" or "need vias" to be more effective. More elk have died over the last 2 centuries by flannel and plaid than anything else. Of all the big game animals I've killed, I've never once felt that the camo I had on had an effect. The clothes have, but the camo could have just as well been solids.... every time. Others probably have 180 degree opposite views but I just don't buy into it anymore.
I agree with you that camo is not a necessity. It's only been a few years that companies even began making patterns that actually were meant for use in the mountains. However, I still prefer camo primarily because I still think it's an advantage. Having something to help break up the outline of your body can't hurt. When I'm walking within 20 yards of a hunting partner and have to do a double or triple take to see them, I know that the camo has to help a little bit. Definitely not necessary at all, but I still think it's an advantage.

^^^^im with you in the sense that "it can't hurt". Your absolutely right, and I'm sure there's those, if not many, that will argue it helps. My perspective is just one of many and I've never felt like I've killed because of my camo. I've had dee stare straight through me and go back to feeding in a lime green montbell down puffy and cow elk in a heavy gray wool sweater. Both were close...

My hunts generally consist of extended trips off a backpack (or in a rare instance a horse). For my application I'll choose thermal performance & moisture wicking over camo ever day. The simple truth is if those are the sole values you're  basing your purchase on then there's better companies than the said "hunting" ones to buy from. If I was doing a lot more day hunts or wall tent stuff I'd probably feel very different.

I wear whatever I pull out of the drawer that is camo. I know a buddy that hunts in a green flannel shirt and blue jeans. And has killed more elk than anyone I know and 90% of those were with a recurve. I have camo that has been given to me over the years and I just wear whatever haha.

big44a4 said:
Black ovis makes some solid merino base layers (I just have the shirts) but for me can't beat the fit on FL pants. I workout on a regular basis and most other pants always seem to hug my quads (Sitka/kuiu). Even though they stretch and move it makes for a less comfortable hike.  Keep us posted on how the obsidian pants work. I like the guides for now but interested in those for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received my FL gear in the mail yesterday and I have to say, I'm impressed! I can't wait to test it next month during archery elk. The cipher pattern is awesome for the area that I typically hunt. A little darker than what you see on their website, but looks great. The obsidian pants fit nice with plenty of room to move around in. These ain't no skinny jeans! haha I too have fairly large quads and these don't hug too much at all. This is my first "system" made of merino wool. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform. Additionally, I bought the new Sawtooth jacket and it is awesome. With the merino wool on the back and under arms, it breathes well, but the chest and upper arms have the insulation of a mid-weight jacket and it feels like it's going to be perfect for those chilly mornings/evenings. I'll post again after the season to give an update on performance.

If I'm going to spend top dollar on hunting clothing I might as well buy camo. Does it matter for elk?  Probably not but why take the chance. If I travel across the country to try to tag an elk a few extra bucks for camo vs. solid colors doesn't even hardly register.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm fairly new to hunting (few years now) and my son is the reason we got into it in the first place. With that said, I have been hemorrhaging money with archery equipment for two, clothing for two, packs for two, tags for two (his are actually really cheap), boots each year as his feet grow, new clothing for him each year because, well he's still growing.

Anyway, up to this point I've used cheap Walmart stuff and some Cabelas pants that I found in the bargain cave. It was okay but not as comfortable as I'd have liked.

This year I treated myself to all new Kuiu Vias clothing as well as a pack.  8)  I can tell it's way more comfortable than what I've been using and I look forward to testing the merino wool and down this year.

The best pattern I have is the old Cabelas Seclusion 3D. Cant buy it anymore but a person just disappears in the woods with that pattern

I really like my Sitka stuff. It really seems to just fit better then anything else I have tried on.

Kuiu everything from gloves to pack to game bags, nothing compares.

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 25
wolfkiller said:
Kuiu everything from gloves to pack to game bags, nothing compares.

Organized right down to each piece of clothing getting its own designated hanger... nice! I've never tried the Kuiu gear but it was my second choice. I like the camo patterns they have and they seem to have pretty decent prices as well.

I use to have Sitka which I loved and is great camo. But since I live in Idaho I decided 2 years ago to support Idaho companies so I sold the Sitka and bought all FirstLite. I also sold my Tenzing pack and bought EXO. I really like the FirstLite Fuison. I dress FirstLite head to toe. However I know you can kill bulls in jeans (and I have) but I feel it can't hurt to ware camo. 

Have a set of UA, but started picking up Sitka to replace pieces. UA does start to stink after a few days. It was hard to convince me to spend the money for Sitka, but I'm glad I did. It's well worth the money spent. Others may prefer another brand, but this works for me.

I've got a buddy who killed a great white-tail in a pair of blue jeans and a white t-shirt, so sometimes I question my camo. I do however love the firstlite stuff, but I also really love OCP or Multicam pattern. Blends well with most environments.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back