ThrowBackThursdays

A couple of my favorite photos. The first is a buck grandpa killed in 1972. I still remember him telling me the story of how he had a cup of coffee on his knee when he seen that buck. He shot and didn?t spill a drop of coffee.
62230dee07ea14b1184df5391b1fcc06.jpg
0bedd08a665b1afb33f4893482ff3cc4.jpg

My Dad didn?t hunt so grandpa would take me on opening weekend of rifle season. I was lucky to kill a few deer when we hunted together but never a nice buck. This was in 1996 and he had had too many strokes to hunt. I couldn?t wait to take this buck by his house and show him. 1996 was a tough year though grandma had just passed and grandpa was starting to go downhill. Guess that?s why I cherish this pic so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this one on a friends Facebook page.... It was from at least 15 years ago since I actually looked a bit younger and some of the folks in the pictures haven't hunted with use in 15 years or more...

old duck picture by Philip Weaver, on Flickr

I'll be going back to NM this September to the unit this whole elk addiction all started in.

So here's a little throwback to the first elk I ever shot  :upthumb:

New Mexico State Land...about 18 to 20 years ago.  I was still using the xx75's (which I used up till about 5 years ago) and my old Pearson Spoiler. Loved that bow!

First Spring Bear, 2001 I think, around Beauval, Saskatchewan. Drove up there from Texas in a GMC Jimmy, flew home on a 747. A local wanted it more than I wanted to drive home in it.....

sjl2012 said:
First Spring Bear, 2001 I think, around Beauval, Saskatchewan. Drove up there from Texas in a GMC Jimmy, flew home on a 747. A local wanted it more than I wanted to drive home in it.....

Awesome bear and an even better story. That's too funny!

TBT to about 3 years ago on the dot. I went up to do my first scouting trip for the year and found a match set about 15 yards off the road!  :upthumb:

October 1996, CO, unit 211 near Maybell. 
We were driving to a new BLM area and saw a herd which we learned was being routed by a man in a truck. The herd ran right toward us within 30 yards and made their path like a Tetris puzzle around our truck _|?.  I was with two other shooters and was astonished that they did not fire on one of the few legal bulls near the front of the herd.  Being confident in my shooting and determined to harvest, I picked out a legal bull who was bringing up the rear. I Led him and missed.  Shot again hitting the neck.  He stopped and looked at me as I put him to sleep. 

Being my first encounter with Elk, I was amazed at his size.  The truck which we saw chasing the herd drove over to us.  He was a resident, hunting with his boys and we discovered had shot my bull in the hind quarter?that's why this bull was bringing up the rear of the herd.  The law stated whoever put the animal down had rights to harvest.  Nonetheless, the older men in my group decided we should flip a coin.  I called heads and harvested this bull.  Being a CA resident and life long wild man notorious for being an excellent hunter in our area, my dad dreamed of hunting elk, but never had the resources to hunt them. He was proud to hear that I shot this bull.  Every time it was mentioned he would smile as big as the sun.  He had a indian friend make two matching necklaces with the ivory. The one he proudly wore for years and eventually it went to his meth addiction. I wish He would have answered the call of the Lord and made actions that would have enabled us to hunt more together.  Amazing-Grace-willing, we'll pick up a trail together in heaven.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back