ThrowBackThursdays

TBT - It was about an hour before daylight when I got a response to a soft cow mew. Moving in slowly, I found myself on the edge of a small hidden meadow tucked away in the middle of the acres and acres of scrub oak that has been my goto area for many, many years. It's not wide open, but instead has several large pines throughout that give lots of shade and cover. Beautiful!
Not wanting to push the situation until shooting light, I found a spot on the edge of the small park that allowed me great vision and shooting lanes with cover behind me to break up my outline. I settled in on my knee's with my bow in front and ready.
At daylight, I let out a small cow mew and immediately to my left a deeper toned mew came back in response. It wasn't even a minute later that I caught motion about 80 yards off as 3 bulls, a beautiful high and tight 6x6 with 2 5x5's, trotted down into the park.. took a look around and started to feed on the green lush grass in the hidden park.
The wind was perfect in my face and the bulls were totally relaxed. So relaxed that I got lost watching them for a few minutes, just taking it all in. When they started feeding and walking in a direction away from me, I decided to get their attention.
I wear my grunt tube draped around me so that the mouthpiece is just inches away, with the end behind so it takes very little movement to throw a call behind me. I gave a small mew with my diaphragm and what happened next was one of the craziest things I have yet to see again.
The six throws his head up, and jogs straight towards me and at about 15 yards away he starts going nuts! He looks back towards the other two bulls and he starts bucking, jumping and spinning like a bareback bronc at the 4th of July Rodeo! It was totally nuts, hilarious and wonderful to watch. With him at only 12 to 15 yards and and totally distracted I pulled back and gave a cow call...he stops on a dime, perfectly broadside and before I could even think, my arrow was disappearing behind the knuckle of the shoulder. He digs in and starts to run off right at the other two bulls about 30 to 40 yards before he starts to stumble and falls over, hooves in the air!
So if you have ever watched a bronc ride and how L-O-N-G that 8 seconds can seem, all of this craziness probably took less than 30 seconds. What an INCREDIBLE and memorable experience!
The two 5x5's had no idea of what was going on. In fact, they walked over to the bull and stood over him like, "okay dude, enough is enough. Just get up and let's go". It wasn't until I got up and started walking towards them that it started to sink in. They even stood there until I got within 40 yards before they busted out.
I looked at my watch...6:40am. What a morning!

What an awesome story, Joe!!!!!! Sounds like such an amazing experience.
Nice bull  :upthumb:

Thanks Daniel. The experiences, moments and the memories. The friendships shared and created. The honor of the hunt.  It's why we do what we do. Nothing like it.  :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back