What arrow is everyone shooting for an elk set up?

Hoyt_96

Aug 29, 2018
Plan on doing my first Elk hunt next fall with a bow. Just looking for some tips on a set up. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I shoot XT hunter gold tips.  300s
Total weight is around 460gr with everything

GT Velocity Pro 300 with blazer vanes and 100 grain G5 striker broadhead. Just plain works.

Hoyt_96 said:
Would a 400 grain arrow be sufficient enough?

Obviously shot placement is key but if I was shooting 400 grains total weight, I would go with a 2 blade cut on contact fixed blade. If you get up above 450 I think you?d have more confidence shooting any quality head

montanaelk31 said:
Hoyt_96 said:

Obviously shot placement is key but if I was shooting 400 grains total weight, I would go with a 2 blade cut on contact fixed blade. If you get up above 450 I think you?d have more confidence shooting any quality head
Okay. I plan on using slick trick magnums. I use them for whitetail and love how they fly.

Hoyt_96 said:

I killed my first elk with 400 grains, but personally I wanted more.
So what I'm saying is yes it can, but it wouldn't hurt to beef it a little.

I've killed my last few in the range of 440-493 gr

GT peirce platinum 250 w/4 fletch blazer-168g total up front and 500 overall tipped with 125g ST standards

Been shooting the Easton Acis 340 since they came out. Great arrow. I?m gonna try the 5mm full metal jackets for next year.

I shoot Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum 300's with 7" wrap and blazer vanes they weigh in at 450gr with a 100gr broadhead. I was shooting muzzy trocar this year but am thinking about going back to a simmons shark broadhead in a 2 blade.

jstephens61 - That sucks... I haven't looked too closely at them due to the cost.  Any kind of return policy?  Did you hit a boulder behind that doe? I hit a brick with a Slick Trick practice head that looked similar. 

Hit nothing in or out, 15 yard shot stuck in the dirt. No rocks in the whole woods.
Hope they cover it. Emailed them yesterday and still haven?t heard anything.
Screwed my ViperTricks back on yesterday.

I was rereading this thread and I left my part incomplete.
I contacted Iron Will and they sent a brand new main blade and screw. Crap occurs, but they stood behind their head.
I will continue to use the head.

I?m switching to 5mm FMJ 340s this year. Just need the snow to melt so I can practice longer distances again

Black Eagle X-Impact .250 Spine, 200-Grain Bone Broad-head single Bevel, 3 Blazer vanes. TAW 550-Grain, 20% FOC

thank goodness my 3 dozen 70lb limbs, right hand arrows work on my new set up.  i am overspined but nothing cares.
Goldtip XT Velocities.  3- FFP vanes.  4" wraps,  Easton super nocks.  30grains of inserts at the tip with my 100 gr broadhead of choice.  right now, the Montec i shoot thinks it is a fieldtip.  i suspect the same with my slicktrick standards.
i also have a unhealthy supply of Grim Reapers that i use on turkey and lots of Rage Hypos.  a very bloody mechanical in my experience.  i might try them on turkey this season for kicks.
my total arrow wt is 430gr.  i consider it my do-it-all arrow. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back