What Bow are you Bringing to Camp in 2013?

HuntinKyhl said:
Mathews Switchback XT.  Seems to work pretty good.
Like I said earlier I am kind of depressed that I am getting rid of my Switchback. But when the wife says “you can get a new bow if you want” I have found that you jump on that opportunity. The switchback isn’t leaving the family though. I was able to pass it down to my little brother.

Bucklucky said:
Mathews Reezen but thinking about picking up a PSE this year. I cant remember wich one it was but it had like a 350 IBO, shot nice and smooth.
Those PSEs are nice. This Sunday, a buddy and I are going down to Greeley to get his AXE-6 looked at/tuned and I figured I would tag along and see what PSE has to offer. I know his AXE is a pretty good shooting bow. He has killed a lot of trees with it. That is a story for another forum. I have shot the EVO 7, last year’s model and it was smooth and fast. I will let you know what I find out on Sunday. Don’t let my opinion sway your judgment though. Shoot them all. That is why they make so many. Then let us know what you think. 

Garrett Weaver said:
Your probably thinking of the omen. Last I heard IBO speeds were above 360, but you have a shorter brace hight.
You’re right. I think the OMAN MAX is around 366. It is like the bowtech Insanity though. Something that is moving that fast I want to shoot. Just to see what it’s like. I have fallen in love with the insanity but like I said we are headed to a PSE dealer here Sunday. We will see what it is like.

Been shooting Hoyt since 2001 and love them, and the wife ordered me the new Spyder 34 for Christmas so thats what I'll be taking to camp this fall I imagine! Now it just needs to get here...

So here it is boys and girls, the moment I have been waiting for, the ordering of a new bow. Yesterday I went down to Fort Collins, CO from Cheyenne, WY in the hunt for a new bow. I went in with my eyes closed and all biases aside with the open mind that the bow would choose me and not me choose the bow. I shot the new line-ups (2012 and 2013) from PSE, Hoyt, Mathews, Elite and Bowtech. Each had their pros’ and their cons’. I narrowed it down to either the PSE DNA or the Bowtech Insanity. Don’t let my opinion wavier what you might pick up but this may help you solidify your findings.

PSE
DNA- This is a screamer of a bow and is the most compact bow that I shot. This bow is as light as a feather and is not lying when they say it only weighs 3.7lbs. The draw is pretty smooth. The valley is adjustable per the tech. The valley on the bowthat I shot was virtually nonexistent. This bow had a solid back wall. The only thing that I did not like about this bow is the slight amount of hand shock that you get. This bow was one of two that I considered and actually shot through a chronograph. At #63 through an octane rest, with a 350gr Easton Flatline this bow shot 327fps.
Bowtech
INSANITY CPX- This bow is a screamer as well. The insanity was noticeably heavier, but it is no heavier than any other bow on the market. The draw on this bow slightly smoother than the DNA and the valley was a little more user friendly. There was little to no hand shock after the shot. This bow felt better in my hand. We ran this bow through the chronograph with the same setup as the DNA and it ended up shooting 330fps.

So what did I get? Well I walked out of the shop with an order for an 80# Insanity. To me the insanity fit me the best. It was just as fast, a little smoother and user friendly. Not that it was any quieter than the DNA but it sounded more like a low pitched “thump” than the DNA’s “thwap”, if that makes sense. now before you make fun of me for the 80# please know that I am 6’ tall, 230lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal. Ok maybe I exaggerated a little on the sex appeal part but none the less I am not a small guy and I can draw the 80# with ease. Well I hope this helps somebody in their next purchase. Please correct me if I am wrong and please let me know what your experience is.

spyder turbo is going to be making its way to the mountains this spring with bears and this fall with elk and deer!

Well I'm a low end roller so I'm shooting a 2011 PSE stinger. Not the most expensive bow out there, but it gets the job done.

boom_makeraf said:
So here it is boys and girls, the moment I have been waiting for, the ordering of a new bow. Yesterday I went down to Fort Collins, CO from Cheyenne, WY in the hunt for a new bow. I went in with my eyes closed and all biases aside with the open mind that the bow would choose me and not me choose the bow. I shot the new line-ups (2012 and 2013) from PSE, Hoyt, Mathews, Elite and Bowtech. Each had their pros’ and their cons’. I narrowed it down to either the PSE DNA or the Bowtech Insanity. Don’tlet my opinion wavier what you might pick up but this may help you solidify your findings.

PSE
DNA- This is a screamer of a bow and is the most compact bow that I shot. This bow is as light as a feather and is not lying when they say it only weighs 3.7lbs. The draw is pretty smooth. The valley is adjustable per the tech. The valley on the bow that I shot was virtually nonexistent. This bow had a solid back wall. The only thing that I did not like about this bow is the slight amount of hand shock that you get. This bow was one of two that I considered and actually shot through a chronograph. At #63 through an octane rest, with a 350gr Easton Flatline this bow shot 327fps.
Bowtech
INSANITY CPX- This bow is a screamer as well. The insanity was noticeably heavier, but it is no heavier than any other bow on the market. The draw on this bow slightly smoother than the DNA and the valley was a little more user friendly. There was little to no hand shock after the shot. This bow felt better in my hand. We ran this bow through the chronograph with the same setup as the DNA and it ended up shooting 330fps.

So what did I get? Well I walked out of the shop with an order for an 80# Insanity. To me the insanity fit me the best. It was just as fast, a little smoother and user friendly. Not that it was any quieter than the DNA but it sounded more like a low pitched “thump” than the DNA’s “thwap”, if that makes sense. now before you make fun of me for the 80# please know that I am 6’ tall, 230lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal. Ok maybe I exaggerated a little on the sex appeal part but none the less I am not a small guy and I can draw the 80# with ease. Well I hope this helps somebody in their next purchase. Please correct me if I am wrong and please let me know what your experience is.

Sounds like a great bow. I will not be buying a bow for a while. This Hoyt Carbon Element is like no other bow. Trying out a few is always the best way to go so you buy the one you think fits best for you. Congrats on the new bow.

I'll be bringing my 2011 PSE EVO.
2011- skunked Deer and Elk
2012- Doe and 4 pt. Bull.
2013- only time and preparation will tell.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back