2016 Deer Meat Pole

Craig already told me I got the wrong pic posted. He thinks this is a better one. Frankly I think it really doesn\'t matter how many pics are posted of Craig, he\'s not going to look any better!

The \"Turks\" :lol: :lol:

You guys bagged some nice ones this year. Tell the guys congrats.............

I have been out trying to fill my MN deer tag for awhile now and it has been tough. I was just looking for a nice meat deer for the father in law since they didn\'t get any during rifle season. It took me awhile to get them somewhat patterned. I put a my pop up blind since it was supposed to snow again. Got in the blind about 3 hours before dark and it started snowing as soon as I got in. Had a fawn buck feeding by me for about 15 minutes when he looked up to my left. I leaned out a little and there was a perfect big yearling doe. She finally walked in front of me at 12 yards. To close in the cold. She heard me draw back and ran to about 22 yards and stopped and looked back. I let the arrow fly and hit a small branch and it deflected right into her guts. :oops: Good thing about snow is tracking but this hit while snowing hard is it was covering up the poor sign from that hit. I had to push her to keep her bleeding. Man they can go a long ways when pushed. After about 1/2 a mile I caught up to her. She was a bad shape but alive. I had to finish her off. I really hate when I mess up a shot at anything and it suffers like that. Really glad I was able to find her.
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->20161204_190527.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Here\'s a buck my buddy killed in southern KS. He\'s blessed with a nice farm, he used to email me a ton of trail cam photos of bucks on his place. He only started deer hunting a few years ago.

Had a pretty fun year.

11/11/2016 -

Only the second sit of the season, using my climber out of a telephone pole. 2 years ago I shot a buck in the exact same spot. This buck was only standing 5 ft from where I shot the first one. 2 years, 2 sits in the pole, 2 bucks down!

Video Link: <!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/videos/great-plains-western-whitetails-121816/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/videos/ ... ls-121816/</a><!-- m -->

11/12/2016

The next morning - After looking at my GPS I realized the public boundary line went deeper than I thought. Hung a stand 17 yards from the pole, and shot this doe the next morning at 35 yds. Hit her high and forward. She went over a mile, crossing the river 4 times. Finally wore her down, and was able to get another arrow into her to finish the job.

The following morning I sat the same spot I had shot the buck and doe the week before and had a beautiful 8 follow a doe directly under my stand and attempt to mount her twice! I\'ll spare you the details but what should have been a slam dunk ended with me brisket shooting him, and leaving me feel pretty frustrated.

2 days later I redeemed myself when this buck came into 17 yards and started rubbing the telephone pole I had shot the buck out of the week before! I was planning on holding out for something a little bigger, but just couldn\'t resist the opportunity. Perfect shot taking out the spot where the lungs and heart meet, and 45 yds later he was done!

Dang Justin!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on a fantastic year. Nice shooting. :mg:
Your freezer and belly must be pretty happy right now. :upthumb:

A cautionary tale:

I took my stand down, waded back across the river to shed some gear, grabbed my tripod, went back across the river and took some pics. I then dragged the buck to the river, and set about to break him down and debone him. I had zip tied the tag to his leg, and in the attempt to cut it off the Havalon slipped, stabbing my left ring finger, and doing some major damage! I could immediately feel the tendon retract into my finger, and could tell I was in for a long day. Duct tape and paper towels weren\'t going to fix this. I went back across the river to drive myself to the hospital, but realized I had left m phone back with all my gear. I decided I had to man up and deal with it, and get the deer taken care of or he would spil. I wrapped my finger as best I could, and went back across the river. I got him gutted using a hand and a half, and then loaded my gear, dragged the buck to the edge of the river and floated him across. I then got him loaded up in my truck and washed my aching finger in the river. When I got to the hospital the stuck the needle in and around the wound a total of 7 times!!!! I don\'t know which was worse, the needle jabs or the initial cut!

3 days later I got in for surgery to repair the severed tendon and nerve. It\'s been almost 2 months and I\'m out of the splint and doing physical therapy. At this point I still don\'t know if I will ever be able to completely curl the last digit of my finger. I\'m hoping it will continue to progress, but at this point it makes it a little hard to tightly grip and I might have to do some major re-learning n the guitar. It is amazing how something so small can be so devastating. I have used the Havalon for years and broken down tons of animals with it. I have always been aware of the potential danger of that knife, but one careless movement and things went south very quickly. I honestly never thought I\'d be \"that guy\" but just goes to show it can happen to anyone in a momentary lapse of caution. I am sure thankful it was in the deer woods, and not in the elk mountains. Just an encouragement to be careful out there when cutting up an animal. We\'ve all used knives a thousand times, but it only takes once!

\"Ol\' Arky\" said:
Nice deer Brian... :upthumb: :upthumb:

Thank You! he was no monster but Duck season was getting rolling and I needed some meat in the freezer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back