2016 Season Workout

bowhunter

Aug 26, 2015
I decided to start a new thread like Dan\'s \" What did you do today\".

I started my 2016 workout in October. I had pain in my upper back this year elk hunting and knew I needed to work on my core. I started the first exercise with push-ups. I did 300 the first day. Wow! I hurt everywhere. My triceps hurt my sides and my abs really hurt. I waited a week to heel from that and did 200 the next time I exercised. That didn\'t feel so bad and things were healing. I waited a few days and did 350. I felt the tightness in the muscles but no pain like the first time. On Monday the 19th I set my goal at 400. I managed to squeeze out 425 :D

I have added some lower body workouts to get me up the mountain a little quicker. Today I started with lunges. I decided on them instead of squats because the knee is only bent 90 degrees in a lunge and less chances of hurting the knee. I did my lunges with a 25 lb dumbbell in each hand. My goal is 200 on each leg. I am up to 50 so far. :)

Next year I plan on being in my top elk hunting shape ever. I am also going to get into ultralight gear and minimal gear, Thanks Gary :upthumb:

As soon as my back gets better I\'ll join you. I want some UL gear if the budget allows. I think my boots were a touch heavy :D

Good for you guys :upthumb: I was happy with how my body held up this year, so probably just need to maintain where I\'m at. But then again, I\'m not chasing Gary or Dan around the mountain!! :lol:

\"bowhunter\" said:
I decided to start a new thread like Dan\'s \" What did you do today\".

I started my 2016 workout in October. I had pain in my upper back this year elk hunting and knew I needed to work on my core. I started the first exercise with push-ups. I did 300 the first day. Wow! I hurt everywhere. My triceps hurt my sides and my abs really hurt. I waited a week to heel from that and did 200 the next time I exercised. That didn\'t feel so bad and things were healing. I waited a few days and did 350. I felt the tightness in the muscles but no pain like the first time. On Monday the 19th I set my goal at 400. I managed to squeeze out 425 :D

I have added some lower body workouts to get me up the mountain a little quicker. Today I started with lunges. I decided on them instead of squats because the knee is only bent 90 degrees in a lunge and less chances of hurting the knee. I did my lunges with a 25 lb dumbbell in each hand. My goal is 200 on each leg. I am up to 50 so far. :)

Next year I plan on being in my top elk hunting shape ever. I am also going to get into ultralight gear and minimal gear, Thanks Gary :upthumb:

You will be feeling those lunges tomorrow or the next day. There is not an exercise that I have ever done that made me more sore than lunges. They are great though.

I stopped working out for 3 weeks. 2 for elk hunting and 1 to recover when I got back. My goal is to get lighter and stronger and increase my cardio ability. I will also do even more pack training this year. I am lucky in that for an easterner I have plenty of terrain that allows me to stay in good climbing shape. The only thing I can\'t simulate well is the altitude.

\"Bowfreak\" said:
You will be feeling those lunges tomorrow or the next day. There is not an exercise that I have ever done that made me more sore than lunges. They are great though.

Yes I know I will. I have done them before and my thighs were sore for a few days and my gluteus maximus .

I used to do lunges many moons ago. Hated them for the first few weeks and actually forgot about that exercise. I know have gotten bored with an elliptical for the past two years. I have to come up with a more rounded out routine and strengthen my back muscles.

\"razorback\" said:
I used to do lunges many moons ago. Hated them for the first few weeks and actually forgot about that exercise. I know have gotten bored with an elliptical for the past two years. I have to come up with a more rounded out routine and strengthen my back muscles.

I started to type that you need to do push-ups :crazy: Then remembered your arm injuries. Maybe you can stand 3-4 feet from the wall and do push-ups like off the wall as you lean in and out. It would keep the weight and strain down but still give you some range of motion. Just a thought.

I may just go to the armory and bench some. I was benching back before I retired. I used to go back to the workout room and do a few sets two or three times a day along with a few other exercises. After I retired I just did the elliptical. The only problem with going up there is everybody likes to visit a lot!

I\'m right at ... P90x3 every work-day from 4:50-5:20 a.m. ... I lost 8 pounds during archery elk, and I\'ve kept most of it off. If I were serious, I\'d have dropped another 5#, but that might wait for January.

I\'m going hunting next year with an 18 year old serious athlete and his dad, who is also a pretty serious athlete. Where-ever we are, I know they\'re going to bring their \"A\"-game. I\'ll be ready.

To be honest, I don\'t workout to hunt (anymore). I work out because ... If I don\'t, I don\'t feel good. It makes me feel younger, stronger, more awake. I kind of like that, until the evening, when a big meal and a glass of wine sounds about right!

I am at 150 lunges on each leg with the 25 Lb dumbbells and I am hurting. I plan to force a few more before bedtime at 10 pm. I probably shouldn\'t but hey the mind is stronger than the body right? I will wait till Monday to repeat the exercise. I might not up it much yet. I will have to wait and see how much I hurt for the next few days.

Well done Terry! Now you might want to remember to bring an empty Gatorade bottle to bed with you. I have a feeling you aren\'t going to want to get up and wander in the middle of the night :lol:

Try the lunges w/o weights for a couple of times before picking up the weight for those of you just starting. I also like wall squats and single leg squats. Between those three you don\'t need much more for legs.

John, I personally use both Dumbbells and sand bags/ pack for my leg workouts. I use my load hauler strap with 50lbs of sand and alternate squats/ lungeS.

I also like the North Face App WO\'s, they are pretty good.

\"AaronJohnson\" said:
I also like wall squats and single leg squats.

I like pistol squats but hard on the knees. I was demonstrating them to my uncle this summer with a tool pouch on and full of nails and my hammer and tape. Wow the extra weight was bad on the knees. I plan on doing some when I get my legs stronger. They help strengthen your ankles and your balance. Great for the stealthy moves needed to traverse blowdowns in the mountains.

I plan on absolutely taking my body to a whole new level for next year.
I have been working on a workout routine that I will start here in December. I\'m so excited to fill this thread with my workouts!

I am down 11 pounds since the day I left to go elk hunting about 4 weeks ago. I plan to get back down to about 235. I have another 10+ to go. I workout year round and plan to eat clean year round from now on. My diet is the killer as food and I mean a lot of food is my nemesis.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Great thread!
I don\'t \'work out\' but always doing something active. I have been thinking about doing more tho

I was down 10lbs from archery season, gained a couple back already but still right at 170lbs now

Feel good, just gotta get my cholesterol under control.... Since its thru the roof...

The main reason I work out is because it really gives me a boost in the morning ... it\'s my \"coffee\".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back