2017 season what did you do today/workout thread....pt.3

iccyman001

Apr 30, 2014
We\'ve already had two successful years of running this thread and having lots of participation.
Well, 2017 is going to sneak up here soon, so it\'s time to start thinking about 2017 workout plans, goals, and more!!!!!!

Did you achieve your goals going into 2016\'s season?
Did you find out areas that needed work?

Well it\'s time to hash that out and start getting prepared!!

As always I want to go into 2017 season being in my best shape ever. Absolute freak shape!
I just moved and have a baby coming close, so I put on a mixture of daddy sympathy weight and what we in the AF call PCS weight.
No big deal though, it honestly gives me something to attack and makes hitting my goals even more fun.

I have some secret big plans for 2017, so I need to make sure sprinting mountains is a breeze.

Anyone else have any big plans for 2017?
Any new goals?

Lets make this happen :upthumb:

I was waiting for this thread! Thought of starting it but knew Dan would come around :D

Not a whole lot different for me. Been working out three days a week since last Feb and I felt great in the mountains until I had to haul a quarter and the head of a 6x6 on my back down a wicked incline. That beat me up a bit, but it was good pain. I might add some additional leg stuff throughout the year, but I feel confident I can go get it done in the shape I\'m in.

So...we need some intel on these \'secret plans\' Dan!

:haha: :haha: Dan put on baby weight. Just because your wife has cravings doesn\'t mean you have to eat sweets and junk food too. Where is your will power? :p

First I would have to say I did ok last year. I worked steady with lots of work on my upper body for back strength. I have minor scoliosis of the spine. I have to keep a strong upper body and core or I experience lots of pain and my back will go numb for a couple weeks. I did have some pains last year, but packing a bull 4.5 miles will do that to a healthy hunter. :upthumb:

Second I would say my legs could have done better. I did more biking on hills in 2015 and noticed that 2016 I did not perform as well. I will have to pay attention to leg workouts too this year.

My goal is to be in better shape than I was last year. :train:

At my age, I\'m happy to maintain. My workout regimen is pretty much set in stone.

On Monday, I noticed I\'ve accumulated a little holiday weight. Cut out the crap and portion sizes...down 5 pounds this Morning.

Food is my nemesis... :(

\"cohunter14\" said:
So...we need some intel on these \'secret plans\' Dan!

You\'ll see here soon :D
Let me get through these next few weeks and then I\'ll start unveiling my plan!

#1 priority right now is seeing this baby.

\"bowhunter\" said:
:haha: :haha: Dan put on baby weight. Just because your wife has cravings doesn\'t mean you have to eat sweets and junk food too. Where is your will power? :p

:

I can\'t even begin to tell you how refreshing it was to let myself go for a few months. :haha:
It\'s over with though.... it\'s almost elk time :D

i started out last year a little overweight and out of shape. but i lost a ton of wt and did 2 triathlons. however, that is much different than putting on wt and hiking the mnts. i havnt set my goals in stone yet this year cause i dont do well with long term goals. but im thinking either a half iron man or a moose/elk hunt which are entirely diff training. i may not do either, just depends. for right now i could go do a triathlon and im training 5 days a week or so. its just endurance and not strength for packing.
with all that said i will be 46 next year, getting into the best shape of your life is behind me, getting into the best shape i can be is what i focus on.

Because I\'m a fitness nut, of course I alway enjoy these threads. :upthumb:

I ran my first marathon at 58 years of age this year, 1 week after returning from my Colorado elk hunt. Training for the marathon required a LOT more running than I like to do but that\'s part of the challenge. I had 3 goals....train without injury, only run 3 days per week, and qualify for Boston. So six of us, along with friends and significant others, headed for Milwaukee the first weekend of October for the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon. I\'m happy to say I managed to reach all 3 goals and I\'ll be going to Boston in the spring of 2018!

All the running I did and the weight I lost made for a \"physically\" easy elk hunt this last season. Unfortunately, as physically prepared as I was, my elk hunt produced no meat in the freezer. :downthumb:

Looking forward to training for a few new events this next season but in the meantime I\'ve been hitting my kickboxing class 3 or 4 days a week, lifting, and got in my first 7+ mile snow run of the winter a couple nights ago.

Good luck to everyone this winter in reaching your fitness goals for your next hunt!

Im taking a short vacation from workouts/eating healthy.
The temptation this time of year to be fat and lazy has settled upon me. :haha: :haha: :haha:

But I did just make an elk stew in the crock pot for supper tonight.
Veggies from the garden, meat from the mountains.

That kinda counts don\'t it???

\"cnelk\" said:
Im taking a short vacation from workouts/eating healthy.
The temptation this time of year to be fat and lazy has settled upon me. :haha: :haha: :haha:

But I did just make an elk stew in the crock pot for supper tonight.
Veggies from the garden, meat from the mountains.

That kinda counts don\'t it???

That looks fantastic!

\"midwest\" said:
Because I\'m a fitness nut, of course I alway enjoy these threads. :upthumb:

I ran my first marathon at 58 years of age this year, 1 week after returning from my Colorado elk hunt. Training for the marathon required a LOT more running than I like to do but that\'s part of the challenge. I had 3 goals....train without injury, only run 3 days per week, and qualify for Boston. So six of us, along with friends and significant others, headed for Milwaukee the first weekend of October for the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon. I\'m happy to say I managed to reach all 3 goals and I\'ll be going to Boston in the spring of 2018!

All the running I did and the weight I lost made for a \"physically\" easy elk hunt this last season. Unfortunately, as physically prepared as I was, my elk hunt produced no meat in the freezer. :downthumb:

Looking forward to training for a few new events this next season but in the meantime I\'ve been hitting my kickboxing class 3 or 4 days a week, lifting, and got in my first 7+ mile snow run of the winter a couple nights ago.

Good luck to everyone this winter in reaching your fitness goals for your next hunt!

Congrats on qualifying for the Boston Marathon!
Make sure you head out there a little early and explore Boston.... lots of history and really cool areas to see. :upthumb:

Does kickboxing help you with cardio?

\"iccyman001\" said:
Congrats on qualifying for the Boston Marathon!
Make sure you head out there a little early and explore Boston.... lots of history and really cool areas to see. :upthumb:

Does kickboxing help you with cardio?

Dan, We plan to spend some time out there visiting the historical sites and eating seafood. I have a brother who\'s real familiar with the area to help guide us. Really looking forward to it!

The kickboxing class I\'m in is an excellent mix of cardio and strength training. Lots of bag work, mitts and gloves with a partner, lifting with very few and very short breaks, bodyweight exercises, sprints, etc. Always different, never boring! There are lots of these types of classes out there....Fighter Body Fitness, ROC Fit, Next Level Extreme Fitness (NLXF), etc.

Does this count towards 2017 prep?

e190ffb7ce74247af32cb6953fc7c7f0.jpg

After hauling several animals in 2016 I\'ve decided it would help if I gained 15-20lbs of muscle by next season. I know it\'s not what most people struggle with, but being 150lbs and carrying 100+ lb loads puts a lot of strain on my already jacked up back.

Eventually I would like to match my mental toughness with physical strength. Once that happens there won\'t be a safe animal on the mountain.

\"ihuntforchrist\" said:
After hauling several animals in 2016 I\'ve decided it would help if I gained 15-20lbs of muscle by next season. I know it\'s not what most people struggle with, but being 150lbs and carrying 100+ lb loads puts a lot of strain on my already jacked up back.

Eventually I would like to match my mental toughness with physical strength. Once that happens there won\'t be a safe animal on the mountain.

Good post. The back is nothing to take lightly. Coming from someone who has already had back surgery I am really protective of my back. As far as my fitness goals, I am fairly strong and have decent cardio.....This year my focus is to gain flexibility while maintaining/add strength. I am the least flexible person on earth so this is going to be tough for me. My wife and I are starting Yoga and I am so tight it will SUCK.

Yoga will help strength and flexibility. :upthumb:

My tightness is in my hamstrings. I can\'t touch my toes without bending my knees or sit up straight on the floor with my legs out in front of me. I have no problem squatting and climbing.

\"bowhunter\" said:
Yoga will help strength and flexibility. :upthumb:

My tightness is in my hamstrings. I can\'t touch my toes without bending my knees or sit up straight on the floor with my legs out in front of me. I have no problem squatting and climbing.

I know the feeling. I couldn\'t even do it in grade school. I had physical therapy about 15 years ago and kept stretching after that. I got to the point I could touch my toes. It was the only time in my life I have been able to do it other than I assume I could do it as a toddler.

\"iccyman001\" said:
Do you guys just youtube yoga videos?

My family is doing DDP Yoga. We ordered videos and stream them online. It is a good workout and is exactly what I need.

I am doing Yoga 3 days a week, Lifting 3 days a week (only takes me about 25-30 min for the exercises I do) and cardio 3-4 days a week.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back