2017 season what did you do today/workout thread....pt.3

Cleared some trees from a fence row last night. Nothing like dragging branches and small trees up hills to work the legs. This will be my workout plan a couple times a week till spring.

I crushed a run tonight!

I did a 5K Friday
Hiked about 5 miles on Saturday with a 65lb pack
Hikes 4 miles on Sunday with a 65lb pack
Then did a fast paced mile and a half tonight.

Added some push ups and I am feeling great. :train:

Did some lunges, squats and steps with a 70# pack. I think it will do the trick because I felt the quads burning.

Been running, running, running and rucking.
Ill be heading out to KY next weekend to do some hiking with bow freak, so I need to make sure Im in proper shape so I can keep up with him. :upthumb:

Well, I got off my arse and have been stretching and lifting for 45 mins each morning for the past few weeks

I put a pad and cover on a bench I had and been using resistance bands and dumbbells.
Working core, back, shoulders and legs

For stretching I follow a YouTube program that concentrates on lower back, glutes and hamstrings

It sure feels good

Tonight was another long run.
They are getting easier, so I just need to up them.

Here soon I will start introducing some weights again!

Ran 7 miles straight into a 20-25 mph head wind then did a 45 min. IronFit class last night. Slept real good!

Ordered P90x2 today ... (I\'ve done the original and P90x3 for years) ... looking forward to that.

It was usually about $140 but is on sale on Amazon today for $50 something. Couldn\'t pass that up. For those of you who like to exercise at home for 30-60 minutes per day, check them out. (P90x3 is only 30 minutes per session, so easy to fit in before breakfast.)

I\'ll need to be doing other stuff as well as I\'m planning some \"vertical\" hunts in 2017, but for general fitness -- wake up, push \"play\", move -- these work well for me.

I have the original P90X...... It will work if you can find time and stick with it.

It is amazing how quickly you can lose strength though. I did the P90X a few years now. I was on the second round a couple years back and was real busy around fair time and didn\'t do much. I write down what my weight was and reps and when I got back into it I had lost strength in just 2 weeks. It came back quickly but WOW how fast you lose it. :shock:

That is why we need to keep exercising ALL year long..

I\'m doing something completely different than what I normally do. I\'m following a plan. Normally I just wing it and do lots of cycling, lunges, rucking, and cardio.

Like I said earlier, this year, I\'m trying to gain weight. I\'m walking around at 155 right now, and hope to be up to 170-175 by September. For the next 45 days I\'m doing a squat everyday program. It\'s exactly like it sounds... I will do squats everyday; weighted squats. Some days will be heavy (at least for me) and some days will be high volume. After this 45 day program, I\'ll switch it up and still do leg day everyday. I\'ll do 30+ minutes of intense cardio in the morning, and high intensity lifting in the afternoon. My focus will be rucking, increasing strength, and eating tons of food.

My other huge goal for the year is to do a 50 mile ruck race July 15th. Depending on how one of my buddy\'s schedule turns out, I will either be doing all 50 solo or splitting it 25/25 with him. Either way, I plan on rucking all 50 miles. If there\'s anyone who is interested, its for a great cause, and in memorial of one of the best people I\'ve ever met in my life. So much in fact, I named my son after him (he has a lot to live up to just to be half the man Corwine was.)

https://www.kaniksu50.com/ruck-race-1.html

I share these goals as a way to hold myself accountable. I\'m hoping 26 is the year I finally start putting some meat on my bones, and support the skeletal system I\'ve neglected for far too long.

Just finished 40 mins of stretching, resistance bands and free weights

I have an MRI on my lower back tomorrow, so Im not doing anything too radical

\"ihuntforchrist\" said:
I\'m doing something completely different than what I normally do. I\'m following a plan. Normally I just wing it and do lots of cycling, lunges, rucking, and cardio.

Like I said earlier, this year, I\'m trying to gain weight. I\'m walking around at 155 right now, and hope to be up to 170-175 by September. For the next 45 days I\'m doing a squat everyday program. It\'s exactly like it sounds... I will do squats everyday; weighted squats. Some days will be heavy (at least for me) and some days will be high volume. After this 45 day program, I\'ll switch it up and still do leg day everyday. I\'ll do 30+ minutes of intense cardio in the morning, and high intensity lifting in the afternoon. My focus will be rucking, increasing strength, and eating tons of food.

My other huge goal for the year is to do a 50 mile ruck race July 15th. Depending on how one of my buddy\'s schedule turns out, I will either be doing all 50 solo or splitting it 25/25 with him. Either way, I plan on rucking all 50 miles. If there\'s anyone who is interested, its for a great cause, and in memorial of one of the best people I\'ve ever met in my life. So much in fact, I named my son after him (he has a lot to live up to just to be half the man Corwine was.)

I share these goals as a way to hold myself accountable. I\'m hoping 26 is the year I finally start putting some meat on my bones, and support the skeletal system I\'ve neglected for far too long.
CJ, I\'m no expert by any means, but a couple of thoughts for you: the first is the idea of over-training. If you work the same muscle group every day instead of giving it time to recover, you can actually do more damage than good. Instead of working your legs every single day doing squats, I would consider alternating days. At least do some research on over-training and give it some thought.

Also, when it comes to adding body weight, the thing that is going to help most is adding muscle. This is achieved with a higher amount of sets with lower reps, like four sets of four reps. If I were you, I would try to alternate days with different body parts and focus primarily on getting stronger with those lower rep sets. You can\'t just do low sets and reps all the time, you\'ll have to mix in some other workouts in the three sets of 6-12 reps kind of area, but if you focus on increasing the weight on those lower sets and reps, you will see the muscle build up. On the contrary, anything that is low sets with high reps burns everything off and won\'t help you to build mass.

Again, I\'m no expert, but I\'ve been fortunate to know some of them over the years and have taken a little bit from them. Good luck! :train:

\"cohunter14\" said:
CJ, I\'m no expert by any means, but a couple of thoughts for you: the first is the idea of over-training. If you work the same muscle group every day instead of giving it time to recover, you can actually do more damage than good. Instead of working your legs every single day doing squats, I would consider alternating days. At least do some research on over-training and give it some thought.

Also, when it comes to adding body weight, the thing that is going to help most is adding muscle. This is achieved with a higher amount of sets with lower reps, like four sets of four reps. If I were you, I would try to alternate days with different body parts and focus primarily on getting stronger with those lower rep sets. You can\'t just do low sets and reps all the time, you\'ll have to mix in some other workouts in the three sets of 6-12 reps kind of area, but if you focus on increasing the weight on those lower set and reps, you will see the muscle build up. On the contrary, anything that is low sets with high reps burns everything off and won\'t help you to build mass.

Again, I\'m no expert, but I\'ve been fortunate to know some of them over the years and have taken a little bit from them. Good luck! :train:

There is no such thing as over training. You can only under train and under recover. If you stay within your abilities, use proper form, and eat a proper diet, your muscles will get accustomed to what you\'re asking them to do. Most Olympic lifters and professional bodybuilders work out everyday. Arnold said, \"show me the rest muscle and I will work it.\" Also, there are many variations of squats...

I\'ve done programs similar to this in the past and had similar results to what I\'m trying to achieve. The key for gaining mass and weight for me is simply diet. I need to significantly increase my caloric intake from where it has been. Also stopping endurance cardio work (cycling/running longer than an hour at a time) will change the way my body metabolizes food.

I was given this plan by a good friend of mine who has master\'s degrees in sports kinesiology, exercise science, and physical therapy. He currently works as an athletic trainer for a D1 college with an elite football program. So yeah, I trust my friend.

This may have come off as abrasive, but I\'m not the type of person to do anything without thoroughly researching it. Second, I understand this type of program is not for everyone. I\'ll keep you guys in loop on how it\'s going, and will post my results along the way.

\"cohunter14\" said:
I don\'t like to hear that Brad. Been bothering you quite a bit?

Yeah. Long time.
Finally got so bothersome that I cant even sit.

Will know results/prognosis Monday afternoon

\"Deertick\" said:
Ordered P90x2 today ... (I\'ve done the original and P90x3 for years) ... looking forward to that.

It was usually about $140 but is on sale on Amazon today for $50 something. Couldn\'t pass that up. For those of you who like to exercise at home for 30-60 minutes per day, check them out. (P90x3 is only 30 minutes per session, so easy to fit in before breakfast.)

I\'ll need to be doing other stuff as well as I\'m planning some \"vertical\" hunts in 2017, but for general fitness -- wake up, push \"play\", move -- these work well for me.

I\'ve done a couple rounds of P90X 1 several years ago. I really liked it.

A couple years later I ordered the P90X 2 and absolutely hated it. Too much of this balancing stuff and complicated exercises. By the time I figured out the exercise, he was on to the next one. I couldn\'t even get a sweat going! The video quality seemed lower as well and overall just seemed \"cheap\" compared to the original. I\'ve heard P90X3 is better but haven\'t seen it.

If anyone would like P90X2, I will send it to you for free. John, if you can send your copy back, I\'ll hold on to this one and give you first dibs.

\"ihuntforchrist\" said:

Man, I would be all over that ruck-race if it were closer to home...good luck with your training and diet plan! Consistency will yield the results you want...stay focused!

\"ihuntforchrist\" said:
There is no such thing as over training. You can only under train and under recover. If you stay within your abilities, use proper form, and eat a proper diet, your muscles will get accustomed to what you\'re asking them to do. Most Olympic lifters and professional bodybuilders work out everyday. Arnold said, \"show me the rest muscle and I will work it.\" Also, there are many variations of squats...

I\'ve done programs similar to this in the past and had similar results to what I\'m trying to achieve. The key for gaining mass and weight for me is simply diet. I need to significantly increase my caloric intake from where it has been. Also stopping endurance cardio work (cycling/running longer than an hour at a time) will change the way my body metabolizes food.

I was given this plan by a good friend of mine who has master\'s degrees in sports kinesiology, exercise science, and physical therapy. He currently works as an athletic trainer for a D1 college with an elite football program. So yeah, I trust my friend.

This may have come off as abrasive, but I\'m not the type of person to do anything without thoroughly researching it. Second, I understand this type of program is not for everyone. I\'ll keep you guys in loop on how it\'s going, and will post my results along the way.

Abrasive? Not too much. Defensive? Sure. I\'m just trying to help CJ, throwing thoughts and ideas out there. You don\'t have to take them, and it sounds like you won\'t anyway. I said I\'m no expert on the subject, I\'ve just been fortunate to spend some time around quite a few of them who are. Over training is absolutely a real thing. I\'m not talking about working out every day, I\'m talking about working out the same muscle groups every day. No body builder or professional athlete does that. If you want to build muscle and add 30lbs of it to your body, just doing squats everyday and eating more is not the solution. If your D1 athletic trainer is telling you to do that, I would be shocked. :shock:

( The below is just my beliefs and practices.)

I rotate between muscle groups. You have to give them time to heal. Muscle is built by small tears when working them. Then rest to let them heal. Over working can cause bigger tears and damage. To build muscle you have to work them HARD and to total failure, meaning no more reps. Few reps with more weight is the best. If you work a muscle a lot but not to failure or hard enough you will stay lean like a marathon runner.

I do workouts to target specific muscles.

I am always working to stay fit. Yesterday I loaded 2 loads of wood and stacked it by the barn. I carried the wood uphill about 30 feet to the truck. I worked arms and legs. :D Monday I will do this for 8 hours. :train: Tuesday I will rest. :yawn:

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->0216171612.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back