2017 season what did you do today/workout thread....pt.3

I\'ve been working hard to strengthen my legs for this year. Last year I had some major cramping issues going down steep inclines with super heavy loads. I\'ve been doing squats and have worked up to 8x225. I\'m thinking this will help carrying those big packs. I also hit a personal best on the bench, 325lbs. Not bad for a skinny guy that weights 185-190! \'Not sure how that\'s going to help me in the woods but it feels good. Haha

\"Ucsdryder\" said:
I\'ve been working hard to strengthen my legs for this year. Last year I had some major cramping issues going down steep inclines with super heavy loads. I\'ve been doing squats and have worked up to 8x225. I\'m thinking this will help carrying those big packs. I also hit a personal best on the bench, 325lbs. Not bad for a skinny guy that weights 185-190! \'Not sure how that\'s going to help me in the woods but it feels good. Haha

That is awesome bench at 325! :clap: :clap: I would guess you could do more with the legs.

Not bragging or anything and please don\'t take this that way.

I have a exercise machine that has many stations. On the leg press my knees are bent 90 degrees when bent and I sraighten them when I press. I just ran down to see what the chart says. It says with all 10 plates it equals 455 lbs. I just jumpped on it and did 20 reps :train: . I weigh 175.

I did have a little problem walking back up the steps from the basement. :lolno: :eek:

Keep up the work on the legs. They are what carry you up the mountain. :upthumb:

\"Ucsdryder\" said:
I absolutely need to strengthen my legs. Taking it very slow. Don\'t want to mess up my knees.
Keep in mind that squats and leg press are two very different things. Not taking away anything from Terry because 455lbs at 20 reps is freak-like, but just be careful with squats. You can mess yourself and your back up really easy by trying to do too much. Been there and done that...now I stick with leg presses. Although I\'m feeling pretty scrawny compared to Terry :lol:

I try not to bend my knees past 90 degrees when doing leg presses and lunges with a couple 25-50 lb dumbbell in my hands. Got to take care of them knees.

I do a lot of calf raises with weight too. Great fro calves and ankles.....But I still managed to tweek and ankle last year packing Matts bull out. That loose rock on steep terrain is a killer. I exercise not just for strength but also to help keep from getting hurt when doing normal hunting practices.

:train: Just got back from 3 weeks in the Mediterranean and 11 day cruise. Used stairs whole trip and very little bread. So did not gain any weight. Wife did not do as good. LOL. This year want to run Half marathon so need to work on that. Saw Midwest started late so should be able also. Will be 72 this elk season. Hunted alone in NM 2016 and planned on packing out my elk alone. Got help from a 21 yr young man in the Air Force who ran into me going back up for 2nd load. Lifesaver for sure. His first elk hunt. Hope he got one. Told him about my 2nd honey hole that I new held elk.

Will be ready for 2017. At my age someone might have to pack me off the mountain. Will have a smile on my face for sure.

\"Retired-11-2000\" said:
:train: Just got back from 3 weeks in the Mediterranean and 11 day cruise. Used stairs whole trip and very little bread. So did not gain any weight. Wife did not do as good. LOL. This year want to run Half marathon so need to work on that. Saw Midwest started late so should be able also. Will be 72 this elk season. Hunted alone in NM 2016 and planned on packing out my elk alone. Got help from a 21 yr young man in the Air Force who ran into me going back up for 2nd load. Lifesaver for sure. His first elk hunt. Hope he got one. Told him about my 2nd honey hole that I new held elk.

Will be ready for 2017. At my age someone might have to pack me off the mountain. Will have a smile on my face for sure.

Those Air Force guys are pretty helpful ;)

\"Retired-11-2000\" said:

You give us old guys hope that we have a lot of elk seasons left in us. Congrats to you, Roger!

Lifting, yoga and cardio.

Did squats, bench and barbell rows last night with cardio. Yoga and cardio tonight.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

just push ups, sit ups, squats, and jumping jacks here, so far..... and shooting bow. having to carry buckets of water for the goats and horses every day helps too!

How does your stomach feel thing morning after that Thai?

I did a mile and a half run last night and feel great.

\"iccyman001\" said:
How does your stomach feel thing morning after that Thai?

I did a mile and a half run last night and feel great.

This morning was fine. Last night was the problem

6 sets of squats today. Last 4 were 10x225. Legs are getting stronger fast. I\'m excited to see how they perform in the hills this summer!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back