Deer hunting update thread

iccyman001

Apr 30, 2014
I don\'t want to spam the elk update thread, so I figured I\'d start a deer one.
I can\'t wait to get back out and hunt them again!

I won\'t be a spoiler, but someone on here shot a nice buck this morning :think: :wave: :upthumb:

I will be heading to Nebraska next weekend to check the temperament of the WT situation.
Also going to pick up my trail camera that has been simmering since early June....

\"cnelk\" said:
I will be heading to Nebraska next weekend to check the temperament of the WT situation.
Also going to pick up my trail camera that has been simmering since early June....
Cant wait to see what you have running around on your camera, Brad!!!!
Are you going to just do weekend trips or will you do an extended day hunt up there during the rut?

\"SGH31\" said:
You get any deer pics yet Dan?

Seth,

I put all of my focus on elk this year and got my cameras out to my spot late this year.
By late I mean 2 weeks before opener lol. I didn\'t put them in my prime spots, but I put them in ok areas that I wanted to possibly hunt opening day.

I had lots of does, a few younger bucks, and then once decent 8.

He wouldn\'t get passed out there. He\'s a bit bigger than the 8 I took first last year, so he would come in right around 125 or a little more.
I think I had pics of him last year as an 8 as well. Just shorter tine length.

Opening day and day two I did move my cameras into strategic spots.
So expect to see a lot more here soon.

How about you? Any shooters lined up for the year?

I have some good ones on my cams. Heres one I have on my phone if it will post.

Attachments

• 20151001_194322.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 717
Seth,

I have this odd feeling both of these deer will be going down.
Notice the time stamp on both of our pics? Both at 8:23 PM....

Freaky!!!!

That is a stud buck!
It almost looks like he has the same end tips my buck did.

I am not sure what you would call it, but it almost hooks up.

Or I am just seeing things

Ya they are similar.

Im hoping to make it out in the next couple of weeks here. Been spending some time with the family and getting work done around the house here recently. Next few weekends are busy but Im lucky I deer hunt close to home.

Good luck to you.

I\'ve been itching for a certain someone to UPDATE IN HERE WITH THEIR AWESOME BUCK!!!! :crazy:

Well, I could tell Dan was taking a shot over my bow here! LOL... I got home from the ranch Sunday afternoon had some fresh tenderloins and cried in my sorrows as my Cowboys choked on another lead.

My plan was to post this yesterday morning, instead I woke up with a terrible stomach flu.

Enough of the other crap lets get to the hunt!

Saturday morning brought the archery opener in North Texas and some cool weather. Unfortunately I was not able to be in the woods as being a parent comes first and I had to help my wife out with some chauffeuring for my daughters activities. Luckily, I was able to get out of town and head to the ranch at about 1:30. Got the well running for the camper, the power on, and off to the stand.

It did not take long to get into the action. As you can see had several ladies show up and a flock of turkeys. I picked out a bearded hen and it was time for a little fresh turkey dinner.. Sorry, no pics of the turk as phone ran out of juice from texting Dan, checking football scores, and constantly looking for a signal.

Sunday morning brought temps in the upper 40\'s and light winds I was busy watching two does and out this guy walked. I ranged him at 31 yards and let the Bow-Tech rip. The Rage Hypodermic passed through and he trotted off about 30 yards. I have never seen so much blood pumping out of an animal! He ended up walking three more steps behind a tree and I heard him fall, followed by the death moan. The crazy thing is as of last Thurs I have not seen pics of this deer and do not remember him from years passed. We manage our place for mature deer and have the blessing to watch them grow year after year. I actually thought this deer was a bigger 10. I saw his left side and prepared myself for the shot.

My 2015 season has been a true blessing. I have had the privilege to harvest my first bull and now this fine deer!

Here is a trail-cam pic of the other 10.

The plans are for me and my wife to spend a week at the deer camp for muzzleloader season.... :upthumb: :upthumb:

Just might find a picture sometime during the week to post... :D :D

I just get so excited when people kill awesome whitetail.

:D :upthumb:

Congrats again, Justin!!!!! Phenomenal buck!

Thanks to all!

\"cnelk\" said:
Thats a fine looking deer!
How many can you shoot in Texas?

You can shoot 3 bucks state wide with a general lisc. There are also MLD tags on specific ranches which do not effect your tags. I have a couple of other hunts coming up and several bass tourny\'s. We really try to control the number of bucks we shoot to let them get some age. Doubt I will take another buck of this ranch for another year.

\"JJhunts\" said:
You can shoot 3 bucks state wide with a general lisc. There are also MLD tags on specific ranches which do not effect your tags. I have a couple of other hunts coming up and several bass tourny\'s. We really try to control the number of bucks we shoot to let them get some age. Doubt I will take another buck of this ranch for another year.

How far are you from Amarillo and Shamrock?

Who else is heading out soon?

There is a small chance I will get out this weekend if my buddy tags out his elk early.
Otherwise it may be next weekend! :dance2:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back