What Broadhead for Elk?

You won't find anything tougher than a Montec, that's for sure. But the lack of sharpness bothers me. I believe it could lead to a lost blood trail and lost animal on an iffy hit. Blood coagulate faster on a tear than on a razor cut.

That being said, I still have every Montec I have ever bought, and won't be getting rid of them any time soon.

Check out Nolimitarchery.com the Grave digger broadheads did the hurting on our elk in camp this past season.

Attachments

• IMG_9737.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 115
I was using muzzys but never could seal the deal I was jinxed with them so I switched to cabelas' FX3 and that was a piece of crap broadhead and two of the three blades fell out. So this year I'm going to try some kind of 2 blade.

I currently shoot the Montec G5's and love them.  Been using them since they came out and love their cutting ability.  As long as they are razor sharp they will do the job! Pic is from a deer I shot with the G5.  Opened him right up.  He went only about 30 yards then piled up.

Attachments

• IMG_2896.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 14
GoatT said:
I currently shoot the Montec G5's and love them.  Been using them since they came out and love their cutting ability.  As long as they are razor sharp they will do the job! Pic is from a deer I shot with the G5.  Opened him right up.  He went only about 30 yards then piled up.

damn that is a huge exit

Mountain Bowhunter said:
there seems to be a common theme here of a cut on contact head.  And looks like most recommend the g5 montec.  I am going to have to consider those.

If your interested in a fixed blade cut on contact take a look at VPA.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
Backpack Hunter said:

that's what my buddy told me.  their 100 gr looks pretty similar to montec

VPA's are machined from a block of steel while the Montecs have a patented metal injection molding design. VPA's 1-1/8" cut, Montecs 1-1/16" cut.

Backpack Hunter said:
Mountain Bowhunter said:
Backpack Hunter said:

that's what my buddy told me.  their 100 gr looks pretty similar to montec

VPA's are machined from a block of steel while the Montecs have a patented metal injection molding design. VPA's 1-1/8" cut, Montecs 1-1/16" cut.

I saw their 100 grain is "vented" and the bigger ones are solid.  is that just to cut weight out?

I've just changed to the Viper Trick. Haven't seen what they do to an animal but they sure are nice heads. Lost the faith in the other head I was using so I made the switch.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
why is it that place has more options than the main site?

No clue, it was the site the manufacturer sent me to when he announced they would be for sale......I think that was in 2011...if I remember right.

Went to Slicks this year!  Was pretty happy with them so I think I'll stay with them.  I also like Muzzys and Montechs too!

I used the G5 Montecs for a while but could never get them sharp enough to satisfy myself. Blood trails where not great but I am sure it was do to the sharpness.
I switched to WAC'EM and haven't gotten a shot yet but they are super sharp out of the box.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back