What Broadhead for Elk?

a lot of votes for the montec.  I am thinking about the vpa broadhead.  very similar head but built with tool steel and supposed to hold an edge better

You can't go too wrong with any broadhead.  You just have to remember to keep them sharp, hit behind the shoulder and practice with different broadheads to see which one fly best with your setup.

I've shot both G5 Strikers and Slick Trick. Lots of fly issue with Striker and talk to my local archery shop and they said I wasn't the first to tell them that, although I have killed one elk with them. Bang for bucks, Slick Trick are good broadhead. Personnelly no experience with the Griz Trick, but talk to buddies of mine who love Slick Tricks, say the Griz does not fly nearly as good, due to the larger cutting diameter. As far as Montec, they are a great flying broadhead, my only compliant about them(not the CS, no experience on them) is the sharpness out of the box......"Horrible!" If you're spending $36 for broadheads and you have to sharpen them out of the box, then not worth the money and time. Currently shooting Wac'em Triton 100gr(switch last year). Best flying broadhead I have shot with. Love the head on the broadhead and it has a better O-ring lock then the Strikers. Killed one bull and it die 60yd after the shot. Most people complain about the cutting diameter of the Wac'em, but it's only 1/32" less then the Montec!

I have to agree with ya on the Griz Tricks!!  Different zero for the Grizs!  The grouped fine but about 4 inches lower and a little right than everything else I shot this year!

Killed my elk with 100gr Shuttle T this year. The Montec CS is also a good blade. We have killed several deer with them. As far as how they shoot, with very little tuning, they hit very close to my field points. :D

Been trying to decide between the NAP Hellrazer or the montec cs, possibly even the shuttle t. Guess I gotta draw a tag first. Daniel

Killed the 4x4 pictured with Montec CS this year. It got banged up pretty bad and I had to make some adjustments to sight when I first shot them.  I tried a set of Strikers and they hit dead on point of aim.  No adjustment, I was surprised to say the least.  However I did notice that they were a little louder in flight then the Montec.  I still got a Blacktail tag so I am hoping to put them through the paces.

Hycntryhtr said:
How do the exodus fly? They look good, I like the low profile but are the blades weak?

They fly straight and true and are some of the toughest blades out there!  I put one through a steel drum and it didn't have any damage to the blades!

Give them a try you won't be disappointed.

I expect that some states have "rules" for the legal blades used for elk. But, for whitetails, the "Swacker" has worked very well for me. Having shot many deer with them(5 last year alone), I've never had a deer go more than 35 yards before flopping.    ;-)

Thanks for the insights on this thread. Living in Utah I've never used a fixed blade (Grim Reaper all the way) but am headed to Idaho this year so I'm faced with needing to find a  fixed blade. Just picked up some Strikers based on a recommendation from Corey and I hope they fly as well as he said they do for him. Each bow and set up is different so we'll see. Glad to hear that Wac'em has some votes as I've been considering the Triton as well.

Shuttle T 100 grain, blades are replaceable and super sharp, I planted them in a tree last year (pulled a little), just dug the broad head and arrow out and the broad head was still in great shape... Never liked how thin any of the others where and saw what happens if you ever happen to miss...

Backpack Hunter said:
My go to broadhead is the 1-3/8" cut Grim Reaper Razortips.

These are my go-to as well.

But there is not 1 that is best. The right answer is shoot what flies the best out of your bow, tune your arrow to your bow (broadhead included) and then after that it is all about shot placement. Practice like crazy, and the broadhead wont matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back