What Broadhead for Elk?

Used montecs for years--dead elk every time-- except no pass throughs on 5 elk, and no blood trails.  I hunt alone and this was becoming an issue. Just think they are too dull. They kill the elk dead, though.
I use Ulmer Edge Mechanical. 3 for 3.  2 pass throughs, big blood trails.  Dead elk in seconds.  I won't use anything else unless I have to.  Yeah, I know its a mech but I highly recommend it. (Rage KE's might be OK but the blades don't lock)

I switched to Slick Tricks standard 125 gr from Wasp Boss 2 years ago to improve my broadhead grouping and field tip accuracy. All the talk about Slick Tricks accuracy was spot on. They are accurate, sharp, tough, and have great penetration.

I know I am a little late. I have used the Ramcats for the last two years and have been very impressed. Me and one of my sons shoot them andwe have downed 3 elk and two deer. They have done great.

Im sticking with use one with razor blades , brand of tip is about 1% of it ,99% is shot placement . Just my opinion .

Slick Trick standards for under 40yd shots and in calm winds.  Over 40yds, or in windy conditions I shoot Ulmer's Edge. 

I always keep a blugeon or small game head on one arrow in my quiver as well...there are often more than a few opportunities at grouse to be had.

After shooting the Slick Trick Magnum, G5 Stryker and Grim Reaper Hades I decided to try the Strickland Helix after seeing that it shot very well but more interestingly it continued to roatate INSIDE the target....and in the elk I shot. Entrance wound was pretty basic but the hole in the lungs looked like a golf ball had made its way through it. I was super impressed.

I think the heavier the better, also helps with front of center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot my elk this year with a Slick Trick Viper Trick 125 gr , complete pass thru. The Vipers are the most accurate out to 80 yards of the heads I've tested. Gonna try some Wac'ums this spring.

Been shooting muzzys but thinking about DRT or Solids. Only thing that bothers me is the weight color on DRT. Does it allowthe head to thread in far enough?

jstephens61 said:
Been shooting muzzys but thinking about DRT or Solids. Only thing that bothers me is the weight color on DRT. Does it allow the head to thread in far enough?

i blew threw on three shots on  deer and one yote  this year no issues on they will handle elk np too  DRT great heads

I know of one guy that was having a problem with DRT's not threading all the way in on gold tips. I shoot 100 grain so I don't shoot with the collars. I just noticed on their site that they are making some in heavier weights now though!

RUTTIN said:
I know of one guy that was having a problem with DRT's not threading all the way in on gold tips. I shoot 100 grain so I don't shoot with the collars. I just noticed on their site that they are making some in heavier weights now though!

yes they are and they also have a new one for deep impacts now too. if you call tom on any issue or send an email he will fix it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back