What did you do today to work towards your 2019 season?

I bought a peloton. Delivered friday... Not sure buying exercise equipment counts until you actually use it. I was off to a great start in feb-march and then we had a baby. Most recently my exercise has come in the form of yardwork and getting the garden ready, which isn't nothing but isn't enough. I have dropped about 14lbs since late April, with another 10 or so to go. Down from 232 to 218, hoping to be sub-210. I also bought a sandbag exercise bag and built a plyo box, which I've used a few times. My goal is to start alternating gym days (or bike, depending on home demands) and hill with pack days (w/ the sandbag (50 or 70lbs, prob start at 50).

So basically, I have a plan and need to get after it. In my defense, breaking new ground on a 1000sqft garden, and then rototilling it a second time because it firmed up before I could get plants in due to weather... All excuses the elk won't care about though. So, gym tomorrow. Peloton delivered friday.

8.5 mile hike. 35 pound pack. 2 hours 46 minutes with no breaks other than stopping to take a few pictures. Next one will be heavier and keep working up until go time when I get to the mountains with my 25 pound pack. First real test of the MR metcalf today. I give it a 10/10.

Made it to the gym this afternoon. Honestly, my above post probably helped keep me honest. I actually had a heck of a workout and gained some confidence that my yardwork regiment hasn't been for nothing. I wondered if I could generate some productivity out of my "workouts" for a few weeks and I think it wasn't for nothing. At least it kept the wife pretty happy. Past time to buckle down.

Every year I start doing hikes with weights and basic lifting. Last year my son got married. My wife wanted to lose 30lbs before the wedding. We joined the Y and started going to boot camp classes, hiking and eating better. I did the classes with her for inspiration but quickly found out the harder you worked in class I was getting in better shape quicker with much faster recovery. I lost ten lbs and my wife lost 35lbs by weeding time and looks great. We have kept it up and both feel way better all year round. The class never gets easier because the better shape you get in, you just work harder. I still add in some weight work in but the classes have really made a change.

This morning was a solid back and bicep workout, 1.5 mile run, rowing, and push ups!

Tonight I finally loaded up my new MR Metcalf with a good amount of my gear and a 50lb sand bag. That plus water came out to about 75lbs. Then, being a flatlander, I headed to the nearest "ski hill", which is about 270' of elevation. I managed 2 trips up, which is better than zero trips. This is my first time working out with a full load in the pack. I usually do some hills, ride a bike/jog, and lift weights. And that's being generous, I definitely fade off as the trip approaches and end up more focused on getting my shooting locked in. I'm going solo this year so I don't have anyone to share a pack out with (no successful hunts to date, 0/3), so conditioning for the pack out seems far more critical.

One benefit of doing this is that I now definitely know which muscles need to get stronger in the next couple months. I also learned some lessons in how to (and not to) stand and catch your breath on a steep incline with 75lbs on your back and little strength left in your legs. (hint: weight downhill poses serious drawbacks).

All in all, a positive step forward tonight. It got easier once I reminded myself of the only reason that this would be happening on the mountain.

Peloton is delivered tomorrow so maybe I'll get to ride off some of the soreness I'll no doubt be experiencing.

I started using the Nike Run Club app. It allows you to set up plans with mileage and if you add friends you can compete with each other for who does the most in a week. We record runs and hikes on there. Also a ton of people say ?oh my pack 10lbs more this year so I better get stronger.?I just take the other approach and drop 10lbs of body weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a shoulder and core workout. 
Then ran a mile and a half I?m 92 degrees with humidity  :sick:

Went to the gym today. Bench, Squats sets of 10, shoulders, curls+triceps, back. Leave tomorrow afternoon for a work trip through late Thursday. I?ll be at the mercy of whatever the gym at the JW Marriott in DC... probably okay, if I actually have time and energy to get there. The squats today after the ski hill Thursday... Definitely a good follow up for the legs. Going to be limping for the front end of this trip.

cc123918b9f1cf1e7a912d198c8b1126.jpg

Still shaking off the cob webs... this year it?s taken me longer than ever to get back in rhythm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good upper body workout in the gym after a long weekend off. Hoping to get out and shoot the bow this afternoon if the weather cooperates.

Shot my bow a bit, fletched and inserted some arrows, went for a couple mile run; season's coming soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I did a solo overnight scouting trip on the weekend. Hiked 12 mi.  Did another 4 miles on Tues. and set another trail cam. I am 1 lb. better than my target weight. Never felt better except my golf game sucks right now.  :train:

Block target, new arrows, bow set @70# and a day when finally it is not raining..., little sore but all good.

I ran a 5k with my 41 pound son on my back.  We need Mystery Ranch to make a child carrier...

Attachments

• 20190628_212155-453x604.jpg
    20190628_212155-453x604.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 12
Went up to middle park Thursday evening with a friend. Met his guide and stayed the night in their cabin up on the Troublesome. Spent yesterday pulling Lakers out of Williams Fork with them. Now have new friends and more options for the future. Sun burned and full upper body work out for sure. :clap:

I shot two 3D shoots today!
All I can say is it's going to be a great year!

This morning was a nice 4AM chest and tricep workout.
This evening will be a 2-4 mile hike, weighted pack, with the dogs!

Over the weekend I went up to some OTC areas, set 2 trail cameras, built a ground blind, and walked up on a calf elk [see pic below] and watched some cow elk in a hay meadow.

Attachments

• 730D4CC8-2663-46C3-88CF-BBF10E77A4B7.jpeg
    730D4CC8-2663-46C3-88CF-BBF10E77A4B7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • C277FD08-F785-4470-9FD0-604D8846ADC1.jpeg
    C277FD08-F785-4470-9FD0-604D8846ADC1.jpeg
    583.5 KB · Views: 12
  • BCCD0ABB-EEBA-459E-96C2-7DBBAC3EEFA5.jpeg
    BCCD0ABB-EEBA-459E-96C2-7DBBAC3EEFA5.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 12

Members online

No members online now.