What did you do today....

\"Baby Huey\" said:
Not a damn thing! I injured my foot doing stairs at work. I wear Goodfeet inserts and didn\'t put the Velcro stays in a new athletic show before my stair workout. The insert (hard plastic) must have slid forward in the shoe and settled underneath the last joint of my middle toes. Didn\'t really feel it during the stair workout (5 sets of 7 flights), but that night I felt it. I kept \"working through the pain\" for another month (working out 3-5 days a week) in the gym and the foot always hurt, but I thought it would just get better and I could just ignore the pain - well it didn\'t get better. Started hurting with just normal walking - it was very tender and painful on every step, to the point I knew I had to get off of it.

I decided to play doctor and borrowed my friend\'s immobilization boot and my brother\'s portable electronic stimulus machine. I\'ve been in the boot for a week and about 5 days with the stim. I haven\'t worked out for 2 weeks, as I know I will just push myself and hurt it again, so I am staying out the gym and trying to just let this heal. Been icing it as well and it is getting better. Hopefully another week or two and I\'ll be back to normal. I\'m also coaching my son\'s soccer team, so I\'ll try not to do too much at practice.

Good job everyone on your workouts - well, except maybe for Brad\'s new age training methods...

Heal up bud!

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
every work day, i eat oatmeal (plain steel cut, w raisins and cinnamon) for breakfast. every lunch. a dark green salad, lighty dressed.

TODAY? everyone in the office wanted to hit up a newly opened burger joint. i joined in. had a burger w fries, and an unsweet tea. i feel like crap!! i am blown away. sluggish, sleepy, bloated...wtf?

i hope and pray i have the energy to do my jog tonight. not looking good. fast food is born of the Devil. :) stupid friday go out to lunch day. argh.

haha fight the power! I hope you\'re able to push through a run!

\"Deertick\" said:
Just my usual morning workout ... this morning was yoga. I had to skip my morning workout on Wednesday and man, I felt tired on the way to work.

I generally \"exercise\" 4-5x per week, and try to do something exertional on the other days.

Now, if we\'re talking about elk hunting, what I really need to be doing is ... shooting.

And working, to pay for the time off and a few specks of new gear.

I\'d like to incorporate some type of yoga or stretching into my routine. I do stretching before my workouts and runs, but I want to actually have a straight up stretching session.

\"Swede\" said:
I feel like a real slug. I went for a 3 mile walk, then I came back here to harass. I think it is the harassing that keeps me going.
Walking is WAY underrated.

The only time I lose weight is from walking or hiking (55-70% X max heart rate). I gain weight when I train for races because I gain muscle mass and exercise in the aerobic or endurance heart rate zone (70-85% X max heart rate).

Last October/November, I only did walking for my October\'s surgery\'s 6 week post op. This is the first year I ever maintained my post elk hunting weight in the Winter months.

After 10 hr workday today, I have opted for happy hour. Brad convinced me that this is part of elk hunting training.

\"zpd307\" said:
my half marathon is tomorrow morning.....
Good luck with your race.

@Roman I hope you heal quickly. The older you get, the longer it takes to heal from injuries. Perhaps try an Epsom salt soak in warm water. It was the only thing that worked for me when I bruised an ankle 5 weeks before a half marathon.

A few of you are already in elk hunting shape. We slugs have another 5.5 months to get into shape. ;)

I workout nearly every day. 30 minutes on a rowing machine followed by 6 minutes on the stationary bike. Same workout I\'ve kept up for several years to stay in shape, even if I\'m not heading west to hunt elk.

Dan

Shot my bow in the morning, went ice fishing in the afternoon/early evening/
Not many times when I can ice fish in 60 degree weather so I do it whenever I can. The Bluegills were on fire.

Yesterday I bought a new truck to haul my elk home.
Put my topper shell on it and its ready to roll to the elk woods

Attachments

• gmc_sierra.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 739
\"cnelk\" said:
Yesterday I bought a new truck to haul my elk home.
Put my topper shell on it and its ready to roll to the elk woods

Truck looks great Brad :upthumb:
Time to break it in this year.

I just got back from a 5 mile bike ride and 2 mile run. Now I am taking the dogs for a walk and shooting. :mg:

\"iccyman001\" said:
Oh no... I am talking about straight up pack, no elk meat.....
My pack is always heavy...

I am saying this with all due respect of course, but you are crazy Dan! What in the world are you carrying with you to make your day pack weigh 30-60lbs? Mine weighs less than 9lbs, but that\'s without water. Add a few water bottles or gatorade and it goes up a bit, but nowhere near that much. I could also take the spotting scope, but if I do that I take out my binocs, so it isn\'t a huge difference. I just can\'t fathom carrying a pack that heavy! Am I the only weird one here?

\"cohunter14\" said:
\"iccyman001\" said:

I am saying this with all due respect of course, but you are crazy Dan! What in the world are you carrying with you to make your day pack weigh 30-60lbs? Mine weighs less than 9lbs, but that\'s without water. Add a few water bottles or gatorade and it goes up a bit, but nowhere near that much. I could also take the spotting scope, but if I do that I take out my binocs, so it isn\'t a huge difference. I just can\'t fathom carrying a pack that heavy! Am I the only weird one here?

haha come on bud, you do not have to worry about saying stuff like this. Even more when you are RIGHT.
I am fully aware that it is heavy, but this is my slow transition from whitetail to elk packs and learning the hard way.

I\'ve slowly been trimming the pack, but they still run heavy when I am out.

Commonly in my pack:
- LOTS of water (this is where a lot of the weight comes from) usually 1.5 gallons or more.
- good portion of snacks
- decent sized first aid kit
- game bags
- a minor butcher set (saw, skinner, caper)
- a larger fold up saw for trimming lanes or cutting a stand in
- binos
- range finder
- I aways have a spare t shirt and quarter zip
- 550 cord
- matches, space blanket
- SLR camera... (heavy)
- go pro
- a few calls

etc etc etc

Again, I am learning slowly. When I am hunting whitetail, I may be only doing anywhere from a 1/4 mile to 8 miles in a day.
When I am hiking through elk country that could be a lot more. So I am sure I will learn to trim even more fat and trailer my packs more towards the type of hunts that I go on.

I don\'t think you are weird at all, I think you are just experienced in hunting that way. Something that I will get more and more every time (or not)

I do not need the SLR, go pro, small butcher set, etc etc etc. They are just things that I like having!

Iccyman: Don\'t mean to hijack your thread but I can\'t find a PM feature on here. Anyhow, I was just wondering how your calling is going and if the video I referred you to was of much help.

Russel

\"iccyman001\" said:
\"cohunter14\" said:
\"iccyman001\" said:

haha come on bud, you do not have to worry about saying stuff like this. Even more when you are RIGHT.
I am fully aware that it is heavy, but this is my slow transition from whitetail to elk packs and learning the hard way.

I\'ve slowly been trimming the pack, but they still run heavy when I am out.

Commonly in my pack:
- LOTS of water (this is where a lot of the weight comes from) usually 1.5 gallons or more.
- good portion of snacks
- decent sized first aid kit
- game bags
- a minor butcher set (saw, skinner, caper)
- a larger fold up saw for trimming lanes or cutting a stand in
- binos
- range finder
- I aways have a spare t shirt and quarter zip
- 550 cord
- matches, space blanket
- SLR camera... (heavy)
- go pro
- a few calls

etc etc etc

Again, I am learning slowly. When I am hunting whitetail, I may be only doing anywhere from a 1/4 mile to 8 miles in a day.
When I am hiking through elk country that could be a lot more. So I am sure I will learn to trim even more fat and trailer my packs more towards the type of hunts that I go on.

I don\'t think you are weird at all, I think you are just experienced in hunting that way. Something that I will get more and more every time (or not)

I do not need the SLR, go pro, small butcher set, etc etc etc. They are just things that I like having!

WOW....that is a lot of water. You are right...that is where a lot of weight is coming from. At most I take 100ozs and I have not burned through that yet in a day. I do however take a purifier if that was to happen. Do you burn through...1.5 gallons...that is almost 200 ozs? I like a small point and shoot cam..and a sparse first aid supply. Sometimes I don\'t even take that. My butchering supplies are kept to a minimum too. A few knives, 2 quarter bags, a small fold up multi-purpose saw. That is a stout pack...you would be a jewel in any elk camp! :D

\"Olympushunt\" said:
WOW....that is a lot of water. You are right...that is where a lot of weight is coming from. At most I take 100ozs and I have not burned through that yet in a day. I do however take a purifier if that was to happen. Do you burn through...1.5 gallons...that is almost 200 ozs? I like a small point and shoot cam..and a sparse first aid supply. Sometimes I don\'t even take that. My butchering supplies are kept to a minimum too. A few knives, 2 quarter bags, a small fold up multi-purpose saw. That is a stout pack...you would be a jewel in any elk camp! :D

So for the water, I think I am \"preparing for the worst\" in a way.
My daily consumption on a regular day is always over 1.5 gallons. (non hunting days)

The amount I need during hunting varies of course. If I am only going in a little ways, I probably don\'t need as much.
If I plan on hiking a bunch, then I will obviously need more.

I think I use it for other reasons too though. I use water to suppress my appetite and stay awake.
Usually the water is in a camel pack or two. I can be very quiet drinking from those and use very little movement.
When I eat, it\'s whole different story. So I usually eat before I go out, have a snack the second I get to my stand, and then drink water to get me through.

I also like having the water for when I do shoot something. It helps calm me down, it helps me focus, I use it to clean my hands after I\'m done cleaning it, etc etc etc.

I would like to look into a smaller camera. Something that would take good picture and weight A LOT less than my SLR haha.
Or I need to start doing things different depending on where I go.

Depending on the situation, I could carry a basic pack around. Then after I shoot something, back out and get pack #2.
Pack #2 could be the butcher set, camera, gam bags, etc. Basically all the after the shot materials.

\"Russel Reed\" said:
Iccyman: Don\'t mean to hijack your thread but I can\'t find a PM feature on here. Anyhow, I was just wondering how your calling is going and if the video I referred you to was of much help.

Russel

Let me look into the PM function, mine is acting up too.

I\'ve been using the video almost daily or every other day.
I need to order some more calls though. When I first got them, I didn\'t realize that there were some that you could really blow hard on and others that you don\'t want to do certain things with. For example I had cow calls, but was attempting to make bugles.

The cow calling has come a long way though. I think I will be staying away from bugles this year.

2 hours and 19 minutes. Not bad since my training time was limited with 2 back to back nasty colds.... Now i am enjoying some beer!

\"zpd307\" said:
2 hours and 19 minutes. Not bad since my training time was limited with 2 back to back nasty colds.... Now i am enjoying some beer!

Ya...that\'s pretty impressive really. I chased my 3 and 6 year old girls around today at the park. That should count for something. lol Man, they wear me out! :crazy:

Oly: From experience I can assure you, that chasing those kids around is a good workout. I can\'t keep up with them.

@Gary
Good for you!
Congrats!

@Olympus

My son turned 18 today. I cant chase him anymore....
Enjoy those times

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back