What did you do today....

Took a 4 wheeler ride back into the boonies and fished for some crappies. Fishing was slow but it\'s a fun ride back there.
Shot my bow for the second time this spring. Shooting good, come on turkey\'s.
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->20150314_092420.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• 20150314_092420.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 704
\"iccyman001\" said:
So for the water, I think I am \"preparing for the worst\" in a way.
My daily consumption on a regular day is always over 1.5 gallons. (non hunting days)

Water definitely takes up weight. I try to keep that weight down, probably to a fault really. It\'s a fine line between staying hydrated in elk country and carrying too much weight. Depending on how long I\'m going to be out for the day, I\'ll carry anywhere from 2-4 bottles with me, which typically means I am slamming some water when I get back to camp. I just hate having the extra weight!

\"iccyman001\" said:
I would like to look into a smaller camera. Something that would take good picture and weight A LOT less than my SLR haha.
Or I need to start doing things different depending on where I go.

I used to carry a camera, but now just carry my phone. They seem to take as good of pictures as any basic camera outside of something fancy, which I don\'t have. Easy way to keep the weight down ;)

\"iccyman001\" said:
Depending on the situation, I could carry a basic pack around. Then after I shoot something, back out and get pack #2.
Pack #2 could be the butcher set, camera, gam bags, etc. Basically all the after the shot materials.

This is definitely something I would recommend depending on how close you are hunting to camp. I typically leave a frame pack and a bunch of extra things in camp and only carry my knives and sometimes a small bone saw. Most of the time I don\'t even carry game bags. I\'ll take a small kitchen sized garbage bag to throw the backstraps and tenderloins into and that\'s about it. Can always bring game bags back when I come back for the quarters. That seems to work if you aren\'t hunting a long ways from camp.

Brad: congrats on the truck!

Gary: great job on the marathon!

Francis: looks like a great day even if the fish weren\'t biting.

\"cohunter14\" said:
Water definitely takes up weight. I try to keep that weight down, probably to a fault really. It\'s a fine line between staying hydrated in elk country and carrying too much weight. Depending on how long I\'m going to be out for the day, I\'ll carry anywhere from 2-4 bottles with me, which typically means I am slamming some water when I get back to camp. I just hate having the extra weight!

I used to carry a camera, but now just carry my phone. They seem to take as good of pictures as any basic camera outside of something fancy, which I don\'t have. Easy way to keep the weight down ;)

This is definitely something I would recommend depending on how close you are hunting to camp. I typically leave a frame pack and a bunch of extra things in camp and only carry my knives and sometimes a small bone saw. Most of the time I don\'t even carry game bags. I\'ll take a small kitchen sized garbage bag to throw the backstraps and tenderloins into and that\'s about it. Can always bring game bags back when I come back for the quarters. That seems to work if you aren\'t hunting a long ways from camp.

I do like the phone idea as a camera, but I have VERY bad luck with phones.
That is why I currently have a phone at the bottom of the nile river.... YES, apple has reached new limits. They have iPhones swimming at the bottom of the nile.

I could manage that though, using the phone as a camera.

I can also set up another pack for butchering and pack out only. I\'ve always been looking for a way to let the animals sit longer, so if I shoot something and then instantly back out and go get my pack, that can kill time.

I would still want to carry a good knife and maybe a bag or two if I shoot something very late and need to do some butchering before the \"night raiders\" come in.

Dan have you looked at Gerber saws. I really like mine, it\'s scary sharp and light weight. 3 ounces.
[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->20150315_154845.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

Attachments

• 20150315_154845.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 667
\"iccyman001\" said:
I would still want to carry a good knife and maybe a bag or two if I shoot something very late and need to do some butchering before the \"night raiders\" come in.

Yeah, I still carry a knife and a bag to put the straps and loins in. One way to do it is quarter up the elk after the kill and bring the straps, loins, and maybe a quarter with you back to camp to get the rest of your gear. Just depends on how deep you are in from camp. Also depends how much help you have!

When I get closer to the hunt, I like to step up on a 18\" box repeatedly with my loaded pack. No clue what the official name of the exercise is. Box steps? Really makes the big hill climbs more tolerable.

This afternoon, Aaron Johnson and I went thru the local outdoor archery range.
Had a good time, shot decent, made plans to get together again soon and go over some calling

\"cnelk\" said:
This afternoon, Aaron Johnson and I went thru the local outdoor archery range.
Had a good time, shot decent, made plans to get together again soon and go over some calling

Sounds like a good time.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
Proud of our marathoner!

Me. Did my usual trail run. I\'m ready if the elk hunters tomorrow. Feeling strong.
thank you! feeling a little sore today..... not too bad.
I now subscribe to the carry a light pack and hunt hard theory. first two years I would tire too much carrying everything on my back. I now just carry a couple knives in case I am lucky to down an animal. I have 2 choices then, start cutting and bring back some meat and then take my meat pack back up and then finish the job. or just head straight back to camp to get help and the meat pack with butchering supplies. my hit on the bull was not the best so I used the time and called the wife first, then went back to camp. this was to give the bull more time to die.

Good time for sure Brad, thanks for coming out. Learned a few tips from Brad that I will take and use. Hopefully learn some calling techniques as well soon.

Zpd, congrats in the race!

Mtnmutt, thanks - I\'ll give the Epsom salts a try. Yeah, getting older is for the birds!

\"Baby Huey\" said:

Mtnmutt, thanks - I\'ll give the Epsom salts a try. Yeah, getting older is for the birds!
I know, I am going to be 39 next month....... :downthumb:

\"zpd307\" said:
\"Baby Huey\" said:

I know, I am going to be 39 next month....... :downthumb:
Youngster!

Congrats on the race. That is a huge accomplishment.

I was 49 for my last half-marathon. A friend could not convince me to do one at age 50. I am a terrible runner. It takes way too much time to train for half-marathons. Worse than training for a sprint triathlon.

2 mile run down, back workout, and just signed up for a half marathon in Colorado springs this july :upthumb:

\"iccyman001\" said:
2 mile run down, back workout, and just signed up for a half marathon in Colorado springs this july :upthumb:
Another crazy person. :razz: There are hills in Colorado Springs, its at 6,000 feet and its hot in July. Train high, race low.

I trained at 6k and raced in Vegas (Dec) and Phoenix (Jan) for my halfs. The courses were mostly flat. For my sprint tris, I trained at 10k and raced mostly down at 6k except for one at 10k.

Good luck! I wish you the best. That will be a tough one.

Ran my trail loop again. I\'m 90% sure runners have right away over mtn bikers. I almost got into a head on with a biker that expected me to step off the trail.

I ride that same loop as part of my bike ride. I pull over 100% of the time.

It was hairy. I think I would have won that crash.

Every weekday:

30 minutes treadmill walk/run with 30 pound pack on, 10% grade

200 pushups

200 bicycle crunches

200 tricep lifts

Evening: shoot 15 or so arrows at varying yardages/ lanes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back