What did you do today....

\"WontQuit\" said:
Always a big fear ~ getting sick in the week before the hunt. Last year on Day 2 of our hunt one of the guys got diverticulitis. After 2 days of HELL he finally went to the emergency room. We thought that ruined his hunt, but 2 days later he put an arrow through the heart of a 4x5 bull! It was the first elk he had ever shot with his bow. What a fantastic end to a rough start of a hunt....and as always, never quit because it can turn around at any time.

Two days post-op! That\'s what I\'m talking about ... there\'s some dedication!

spent most of the day at work yesterday practicing my bugling and cow calls and watching chris roes vids :lol: we had a preseason scouts get together after work for my webelos!

more scenario shooting after work.... this time sitting on a bucket twisting left or right. and looked at a farm..... I am starting a donation fund to help pay for it :angle:

another 3.1 mile run, still muggy.... on a bright note, looked at a 25 acre farm tonight! not too far from town so I can still be on the fire department. they are asking more than I would like to pay, but not too much. I am waiting to see if they will accept a contingent offer, as I would need to sell my house first....

\"zpd307\" said:
another 3.1 mile run, still muggy.... on a bright note, looked at a 25 acre farm tonight! not too far from town so I can still be on the fire department. they are asking more than I would like to pay, but not too much. I am waiting to see if they will accept a contingent offer, as I would need to sell my house first....

Awesome!!! Nothing like owning some acerage!

\"vanish\" said:
I shoot at home, but limited to 20 yards. Yesterday we went to Lon Hagler to practice longer shots, and my bow was consistently 5 inches low at 40 yards. Grrrrr, how the heck did that happen?

still on at 20?

think your bow lost speed? limbs still tightened down? i wonder what your draw weight is? if it is down, maybe a cable (or string..i forget which) stretched?

or your 40 pins moved..what happens at the other distances?

Hope it happens for you Gary, if it\'s what you want. I bet your boys would like a little more room! Or maybe I should say THE boys!

\"mainebrdr\" said:
Hope it happens for you Gary, if it\'s what you want. I bet your boys would like a little more room! Or maybe I should say THE boys!
got the application from the bank today.... the boys keep asking if we are going to get it. answer was, if the bank gives up the money. dang, it will be the most I have ever spent!

oh, the boys and I went for a 6 mile bike ride today, getting pics of the half marathon route of the race that I am organizing for next summer. on top of getting the bay window insulated, getting a running pacer group lined up for the race, posting the updates on the race facebook page, contacting a state park to set up a scout service project for my webelos den in oct, and now im working the first night shift in about a year...... we are week out from elk nirvana! it cant get here fast enough....

Packed several piles of stuff for next weekend.

Looks like we\'ll need a fourth horse to get camp in. Likewise, it looks like the pack out will be a big one, elk or not.

Food for 3 alone is weighing in at 75#. Estimating a horse can carry around 100-120 pound of dead weight, we\'re running a bill in the weight department. Outfitter tent (53#) and chairs, cots, sleeping bags, and other gear ... I\'ll have a run-down at the end, but at this point it was easier to borrow my neighbor\'s horse for extra horsepower.

Oddly, even though I love my area, and I really enjoy horses, I\'m very susceptible to the reasoning of people like Brad and Lou who eschew the backcountry experience as being \"extra\", \"unneeded\", and over-marketed as the \"right way\" to hunt elk. I am looking for that perfect road camp for the future, but then again, there are elk where we\'re going, and no people.

I\'m sure you guys will still have a great time John! Sounds like a blast to me, but then again I\'ve never done a hunt with horses.

We won\'t be using the horses to hunt ... just to haul camp and (hopefully) elk meat. They\'re all experienced horses, and they all know the way in to camp, and get along with each other, so that\'s a huge plus.

The weather looks like it\'ll stay as-is (warm, dry) at least until mid-week.

I\'m packing more today and weighing loads, etc. It\'s amazing how LITTLE horses can really carry. (Or perhaps it\'s amazing how MUCH some humans claim to carry!)

Live weight is easier to carry, as a rider can \"help\" the horse by shifting. Even an inexperienced rider helps a bit. But dead weight is different, and less than half of live weight limits. But I\'d rather have happy horses who are no hassle than have the bragging rights of a \"horse that can carry a whole elk\".

John, that is very interesting on the dead weight deal. As someone who has very little experience with horses, I would have just assumed that you could throw 200-300lbs on their back and be good (similar to having a person jump on and ride). I\'m sure your information and break down of weight will be really helpful to those who are considering doing this in the future. If you do end up breaking that all down, maybe we can do a separate thread and put it in the archived tips :think:

Friday is almost here! but not quite. so I shot my final practice round with the bow and its now packed away in the truck. I also got my final run in, 4 miles. broad heads are all on the their respective killing carbon sticks, clothes, sleeping bad, and pack are also packed in the truck. terry and I are officially under 24 hours to go time :upthumb: steven went out early and claimed our home away from home today! man am I anxious!

Shot the bow one last time and packed everything except cold stuff in the truck. I will head to Gary\'s house tomorrow and be packed up so when he gets off work we are headed west. We might even get a quick hunt in Saturday evening after driving 21 + hours. We have 2 weeks to get it done. :upthumb: :wave:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back