Who got a NM tag

I drew a 3rd choice muzzleloader tag.  I have drawn this tag 2 times and it is hit or miss, depending on snow to the north.  I sure was hoping for archery, but this is much better than not getting to go at all!!!!

The unit 51 hunt? If so, that was my third choice as well.
sambuck said:
I drew a 3rd choice muzzleloader tag.  I have drawn this tag 2 times and it is hit or miss, depending on snow to the north.  I sure was hoping for archery, but this is much better than not getting to go at all!!!!

New member here, but I Drew my first choice unit 36 first archery Elk hunt. Also my 2nd choice rifle Mule deer in unit 45. Going to be busy!

A.Romero said:
New member here, but I Drew my first choice unit 36 first archery Elk hunt. Also my 2nd choice rifle Mule deer in unit 45. Going to be busy!

Congrats A.Romero, and welcome to the site!  :welcome:

A.Romero said:

You drew a killer elk hunt and a deer tag that I've wanted for years!
Good luck and take pictures. We look forward to your stories  :upthumb:

I?m definitely putting in for NM next year without a doubt.  I?ve always figured it was a stretch for location from western MT but I can get to Albuquerque is 16hrs if I obey the speed limits  :cool:  after figuring that out and talking with DTP it?s in like donkey kong. Can?t wait BUT I have horrible luck so it will probably go awhile before I draw.

Question, I?ve seen a few folks get 2nd choice tags. Here in MT second choice (at least for residents) is almost non existent for a possibility. How does that compare allocation wise for NM.  In MT usually the first choice fills the tags and by the time a reasonable second choice comes about those are full from the 1st choicers.  Unless it?s a 100% draw guarantee

In NM they basically draw a name and then go down your list of choices. If there are tags available for your first choice, you get that tag. If not, then on to the second choice. So people can get tags with their third choice over someone else's first choice, if that makes sense. It's all based on when your name is drawn.

I can explain it fully in text, but you can absolutely draw the tag in any of your choices!

Kdkehoe said:
I?m definitely putting in for NM next year without a doubt.  I?ve always figured it was a stretch for location from western MT but I can get to Albuquerque is 16hrs if I obey the speed limits  :cool:  after figuring that out and talking with DTP it?s in like donkey kong. Can?t wait BUT I have horrible luck so it will probably go awhile before I draw.

Question, I?ve seen a few folks get 2nd choice tags. Here in MT second choice (at least for residents) is almost non existent for a possibility. How does that compare allocation wise for NM.  In MT usually the first choice fills the tags and by the time a reasonable second choice comes about those are full from the 1st choicers.  Unless it?s a 100% draw guarantee

I put in NM for the first time and drew my 2nd choice, so it can be done. They basically choose your name and see if any of your top 3 choices still have tags available.  I got pretty lucky being it was my first time. Didn't draw my top choice, but the unit I did draw looks unbelievable.  Funny thing is I've never drawn a limited entry tag in my own state (Montana) so go figure.  Max points too!

montanaelk31 said:
Kdkehoe said:

I put in NM for the first time and drew my 2nd choice, so it can be done. They basically choose your name and see if any of your top 3 choices still have tags available.  I got pretty lucky being it was my first time. Didn't draw my top choice, but the unit I did draw looks unbelievable.  Funny thing is I've never drawn a limited entry tag in my own state (Montana) so go figure.  Max points too!

Is that because you are applying for 380 every year?  That is wild you haven't drawn a Montana LE tag yet!

DTP said:
montanaelk31 said:
Kdkehoe said:

Is that because you are applying for 380 every year?  That is wild you haven't drawn a Montana LE tag yet!

Wish I could say that i only apply for 380, but no, I never apply for 380.  I feel there are better bulls in other units without the private land issue.  I mix it up and still haven't drawn.  At this point I have a 20% draw odds or greater in every unit I apply for every year.  Crazy stuff.  But give me that 1% draw odds in NM and bam! first try lol

montanaelk31 said:
DTP said:
montanaelk31 said:
Kdkehoe said:

Wish I could say that i only apply for 380, but no, I never apply for 380.  I feel there are better bulls in other units without the private land issue.  I mix it up and still haven't drawn.  At this point I have a 20% draw odds or greater in every unit I apply for every year.  Crazy stuff.  But give me that 1% draw odds in NM and bam! first try lol
It?s wild how things like that happen.  Similar.... I drew a NM tag that I probably had 20% draw odds, but didn?t draw the Montana elk tag that I had 26% draw odds on.  Oh well, I?ll get that tag in the next year or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Struck out for me but luckily my fianc? lives in New Mexico and drew a rifle tag so I'll be tagging along and hopefully playing sherpa.

TLowell02 said:
Struck out for me but luckily my fianc? lives in New Mexico and drew a rifle tag so I'll be tagging along and hopefully playing sherpa.

Have fun!

Any one have an idea when NM will post the draw statistics? They sure are taking their sweet time.
sjl2012 said:
woodardd said:
Struck out but landed a unit 33 muley archery tag.  Looks like we are headed to CO otc, or NM landowner prices, ouch.

Same boat. Drew a 4th choice Archery Mule deer in unit 40, will probably hunt early Jan next year. Looks like another SLO tag for 2nd season archery elk in 53 again this year. Not a bad tag but in the last 20 years it's went from buying a tag once every 5 years to drawing a tag once every 5 years.

It'll be interesting to see the draw odds reports for this year.

Thanks. I guess I should clarify, I struck out on elk but I did successfully draw a fourth choice archery deer. So I will get to hunt deer during my favorite time of year in the desert.
DTP said:
TLowell02 said:

Have fun!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back