What did you do today to work towards your 2018 season?

Jeremiah said:
Had back surgery, Doc cut out my bulging disc  :dance2:

My father had that done a little over a year ago. Best of luck with the recovery. Definitely don't rush it and listen to your doc and PT or you could end up back under the knife again in no time.

33f13676c2d02a69fc67b4c8a9cc0785.jpg

Nice day out so I did a little shooting. I  need to step it up for the mountains as my groups were terrible at 60 yards. Still okay for WTs around here but I?ve got some work to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonight I did solid arm workout. Probably a little too solid and I hope i have enough strength tomorrow to pull my bow back ;)

Followed it up with core, abs, and a run!

:train:

Yesterday's back workout was extra tender because I had carried that deer out on my back, but I still blew it outta the park!

Followed it up with some running and core.

Today I was considering taking it off, but I have decided I'll go to legs and cardio!  :train:

A long hike in the mountains with the pooch. Pretty much doing what i'll be doing for the hunt. The weather has to be horrible for me to skip this. I do about 355 days a year. The only thing that changes is the weight in the backpack.

Come hunting season and it's just another day. No adjustments needed.

Rzrbac said:
Nice day out so I did a little shooting. I  need to step it up for the mountains as my groups were terrible at 60 yards. Still okay for WTs around here but I?ve got some work to do.

nice!!  at this point, i'm not entirely clear WHERE my bow is.  nursing a pair of sore shoulders is getting old..almost a crutch at this point as far as my shooting practice is going.  i need to get going..spring birds season is around the corner.

I had a real nice 5K this morning followed by fresh donuts.... LOL
I ran the 5K in 18:31, so I didn't mind eating a few goodies that coworkers brought in.  :train:

DTP said:
I ran the 5K in 18:31, so I didn't mind eating a few goodies that coworkers brought in.  :train:

Dang Dan, you were flying! That's sub-six minute miles, pretty dang impressive.

cohunter14 said:
DTP said:

Dang Dan, you were flying! That's sub-six minute miles, pretty dang impressive.

I've always been good for long distance running. The inverse of that is I have chicken legs... so I have to train legs a few times a week to prepare myself for the mountains.

I've been acquiring a few things I want for this season...some caribou gear-carnivore 3 game bags. a "Mytopo" custom map of an area we plan to backpack hunt. New Bee-Stinger stabilizer for my bow with quick disconnect. For Christmas I received a pair of Zeiss 8x42 camo binoculars and the ALPS bino harness. , plus a 2 man backpack tent.

Getting the gear ready during the colder months and planning to do a lot of hiking with a pack on come spring.

6 mile hike with the dog through the neighborhood this morning, with 10 sets of 20 squats. Maybe a jog this afternoon and fling a few arrows.

This weekend I spent a lot of the time in Alabama hiking around the woods and helping a buddy put down some whitetail. I shot two  :upthumb:

I love being in the woods and hiking  :upthumb:

Had a real good chest workout today, core, abs, ran and did the bike. 
The mountains and elk better watch out this year....

Any ?flatlanders? on this thread? I just want to know whose workouts I should pay attention to. I?m an aspiring Western hunter, but I?m taking the conditioning a little slow because of my age, other health issues, and working out hasn?t been my thing in a while. Nonetheless, elk hunting is on my list.  I may start with something tamer, like antelope in 2018.

Planopurist said:
Any ?flatlanders? on this thread? I just want to know whose workouts I should pay attention to. I?m an aspiring Western hunter, but I?m taking the conditioning a little slow because of my age, other health issues, and working out hasn?t been my thing in a while. Nonetheless, elk hunting is on my list.  I may start with something tamer, like antelope in 2018.

I'm doing all my training this year at sea level (sadly)
No worries though. My biggest focus areas come down to cardio, core, and legs.

If you can knock out some serious cardio workouts, then your acclimation time in the mountains will take much less time than someone who is out of shape.
BUILD THAT LUNG POWER!

The legs and core kind of go hand in hand. They are important no matter whether you're living at sea level or 10K, but it's a focus area for me in general when it comes to elk hunting.

Where would you consider antelope hunting?

Tonight was another killer leg workout.
After that I ran 1 1/2 miles, did incline walking for 25 minutes, core, abs, and pushups!

I'm feeling great and will probably start ramping up my workouts here soon.

DTP said:
I'm feeling great and will probably start ramping up my workouts here soon.
You definitely need to step it up a bit Dan...everyone is a little tired of you slacking  :lol:

I?ll be honest, I?ve been stepping things up a bit lately after reading about your 5k Dan. I hate running with a passion, but I?ve been running almost every day for the past week. The goal is to keep it going six days a week. Each day I?m trying to increase speed and/or time. I don?t know what the end goal is yet, but I know it?s going to make me feel better come September if I keep it going, so that?s the plan for now!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back