What did you do today to work towards your 2018 season?

I gained a couple pounds during the holidays and was sick off and on in January so finally starting to be active again. Playing basketball for two hours 3 times a week right now. Watching my diet as well. Hope that will help shed some pounds.

scottpage88 said:
I gained a couple pounds during the holidays and was sick off and on in January so finally starting to be active again. Playing basketball for two hours 3 times a week right now. Watching my diet as well. Hope that will help shed some pounds.

Good luck! I am betting it'll start shedding off soon.  :upthumb:

cohunter14 said:
DTP said:
I'm feeling great and will probably start ramping up my workouts here soon.
You definitely need to step it up a bit Dan...everyone is a little tired of you slacking  :lol: I?ll be honest, I?ve been stepping things up a bit lately after reading about your 5k Dan. I hate running with a passion, but I?ve been running almost every day for the past week. The goal is to keep it going six days a week. Each day I?m trying to increase speed and/or time. I don?t know what the end goal is yet, but I know it?s going to make me feel better come September if I keep it going, so that?s the plan for now!

That's awesome Derek. The nice thing is come September you may find yourself in the best shape you've been in years. Sometimes just adding in new things will help tremendously. Especially something like running 6x a week

DTP said:
Planopurist said:
Any ?flatlanders? on this thread? I just want to know whose workouts I should pay attention to. I?m an aspiring Western hunter, but I?m taking the conditioning a little slow because of my age, other health issues, and working out hasn?t been my thing in a while. Nonetheless, elk hunting is on my list.  I may start with something tamer, like antelope in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing all my training this year at sea level (sadly)
No worries though. My biggest focus areas come down to cardio, core, and legs.

If you can knock out some serious cardio workouts, then your acclimation time in the mountains will take much less time than someone who is out of shape.
BUILD THAT LUNG POWER!

The legs and core kind of go hand in hand. They are important no matter whether you're living at sea level or 10K, but it's a focus area for me in general when it comes to elk hunting.

Where would you consider antelope hunting?
Thx for the perspective. I?m considering Wyoming.

Today I shot a 20 target 3D tournament, then went to the gym and had a killer leg workout!

I?m feeling good!

Chest, cardio, abs, and core!!!!
Its pouring out, but Im about to go shoot!

Back, core, abs, cardio, and pushups!!!!

Now I'm going to do some stretching  :upthumb:

nothing :(

my doctor is paranoid.  she insisted on a bunch of travel vaccines.  she RENEWED my measles-mumps and rubella!!!  the side affect is dizziness.

i dont think i can run a straight line right now.  i feel awful. 

i'm scared to tell her we are adding PEACOCK BASS fishing on the Amazon River to our itinerary.

she will have to chase me around the room to poke me with Yellow Fever and Malaria.  :D

Boom said:
i'm scared to tell her we are adding PEACOCK BASS fishing on the Amazon River to our itinerary.

she will have to chase me around the room to poke me with Yellow Fever and Malaria.  :D

Boom said:
nothing :(

my doctor is paranoid.  she insisted on a bunch of travel vaccines.  she RENEWED my measles-mumps and rubella!!!  the side affect is dizziness.

i dont think i can run a straight line right now.  i feel awful.

Lol... I understand.... I'm a petri dish of shots because of some of the places I'm sent for work.

Get better!

Boom said:

Fwiw the yellow fever vax was the worst I've ever had and it was 2 doses (circa 1983)...
Twas mid summer shivering under a comforter...comforted ultimately by finally falling asleep. Good times.

wl704 said:
Boom said:

Fwiw the yellow fever vax was the worst I've ever had and it was 2 doses (circa 1983)...
Twas mid summer shivering under a comforter...comforted ultimately by finally falling asleep. Good times.

well damn.

I did another leg workout yesterday.

I've really been pushing some hard hard hard leg workouts, but they finally seem to be getting a little bit easier, or maybe the correct term is a little more comfortable.

I will by far have my strongest legs ever going into this year.

DTP said:
I did another leg workout yesterday.

I've really been pushing some hard hard hard leg workouts, but they finally seem to be getting a little bit easier, or maybe the correct term is a little more comfortable.

I will by far have my strongest legs ever going into this year.

Does this mean the skinny chicken legs might be building some muscle? :haha: :haha:

skinny legs?

i had skinny legs growing up.  my friend once told me, "cliff, you have lucky legs"
"huh?"

"yea, lucky legs..as in lucky they dont snap off and stab you in the ass"

Boom said:
skinny legs?

i had skinny legs growing up.  my friend once told me, "cliff, you have lucky legs"
"huh?"

"yea, lucky legs..as in lucky they dont snap off and stab you in the read end"

Bowhunter1 said:
DTP said:
I did another leg workout yesterday.I've really been pushing some hard hard hard leg workouts, but they finally seem to be getting a little bit easier, or maybe the correct term is a little more comfortable. I will by far have my strongest legs ever going into this year.
Does this mean the skinny chicken legs might be building some muscle? :haha: :haha:

I have skinny legs for sure. Skinny, chicken legs.... but as long as they get me up and down the mountain (with an elk on my [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]back) then it's all good!

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]My legs will be much stronger this year though.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I had a great shoulders, core, abs, and cardio workout today.[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I had to get one last solid workout in because I will be in Vegas Friday through Sunday and I plan to EAT![/font][/font]

I've continued the running on the treadmill, picking up speed and/or time each day. Actually got outside today and ran the neighborhood, which includes some pretty good hills. Nowhere close to where I want to be yet, but it's slowly getting there. I've got some short term goals in mind now and some ideas of where I'd like to get to. The goal is to keep getting better every day until I get to that end goal, whatever that ends up being.

PS I still hate running and that probably won't ever change. But every time I'm running I keep envisioning how much better I'm going to feel this fall chasing elk through the woods. I've never felt that my conditioning limited me to where I can go in the mountains, but I'm hoping that the extra running will make it that much easier. If it's easier on the body, I won't be as worn out every evening, which makes it easier to get out of bed the next morning and also makes it much easier to stay positive during the hunt. When I get tired and worn out during a hunt it makes it much more difficult to stay positive. Time to eliminate the possibility!

Im flying into New Mexico today. So I plan on tying to knock out a 5 mile run when I get to my hotel. Test myself against the elevation change.  :upthumb:

yesterday.

shot my bow!!

hiked with the wife

then in the evening, i snuck out for a hillclimb mtn bike ride.  my lungs were huffing!!  i red-lined my heart twice..buried the needle.  i lived.  hehe.  i can make the climb now without putting my feet on the ground. getting there.

Walked four and half hours yesterday looking for sheds. Elliptical today and a chest and arm workout. Wanted to shoot my bow but it?s 28 and raining.
ff93f656cb75297a8af3c91308cee07d.jpg
18b105db96e6223097515a100750a92b.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back