What did you do today to work towards your 2018 season?

Got some cardio on the elliptical and then focused on core. Finished my workout with a focus on calf muscles. Good times :grin:

Just got back from a work trip and I am going to absolutely destroy the gym this weekend.  I like having little breaks.  I always seem to come back stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chest, core, abs, and killer cardio! I?m going to sleep well tonight [emoji23]

1.5 mile run today. Can't believe I have been 'working up' to this. I haven't run for years, but have stayed in decent shape. But apparently there is decent shape and there's running shape. Let's just say Dan would have lapped me multiple times with the speed I ran it at  :lol:

Going to keep bumping the speed and distance. I've got a 3 mile loop in my neighborhood that includes a lot of altitude change and my goal is to be running that multiple times a week. If I can be doing that consistently, I think it should make elk hunting even easier this year.

I'm documenting everything I'm doing with the plan to eventually share it here for everyone in a couple months. I've got a trip to sea level coming up in a few weeks where I'm hoping to compare running there to my altitude here at home (roughly 6,000 feet) to give people my opinion of the difference. I'll also be chasing turkeys around the mountains in April combined with some scouting, so I'm hoping to be able to share how I feel doing that after all of this running versus beforehand.

cohunter14 said:
1.5 mile run today. Can't believe I have been 'working up' to this. I haven't run for years, but have stayed in decent shape. But apparently there is decent shape and there's running shape. Let's just say Dan would have lapped me multiple times with the speed I ran it at  :lol:

Going to keep bumping the speed and distance. I've got a 3 mile loop in my neighborhood that includes a lot of altitude change and my goal is to be running that multiple times a week. If I can be doing that consistently, I think it should make elk hunting even easier this year.

I'm documenting everything I'm doing with the plan to eventually share it here for everyone in a couple months. I've got a trip to sea level coming up in a few weeks where I'm hoping to compare running there to my altitude here at home (roughly 6,000 feet) to give people my opinion of the difference. I'll also be chasing turkeys around the mountains in April combined with some scouting, so I'm hoping to be able to share how I feel doing that after all of this running versus beforehand.

Im betting if you keep this up then you'll be attacking the mountains this year like you never have before!

I had a killer back workout today with abs, core, and cardio.
Then I shot about 30 arrows at 5-25 yards to prepare for turkey season.  :upthumb:

Ran 1.5 miles outside today with some decent elevation gains. Here?s a screen shot from my phone. Who knew the Topo Maps+ free app that I use when hunting would come in handy while running? Keeps track of distance as well as time. 12:10 for this loop. Not terrible, but not great. I?d like to be able to keep this pace while expanding the distance to 3 miles with even more terrain change.

850005d4709475f142b3a80e8df04d12.jpg

I dropped some points for this year.  I have a great friend that is 60 and has killed lots of elk.  He has helped me out in more ways than I can count, more than I could ever repay him.  So I shared my points to get him a le tag while he is still able to hike good.  I have friends that have drawn Wasatch the last two years, so we have some good recent intel to draw from.  I hunted it in High School 20+years ago so there is some nostalgia for me also.  Hoping for the hunt of a lifetime for a hunter that has always put others in front to be the shooter before himself. 

I had a killer arm, cardio, core, and ab workout tonight.
Tomorrow I've got a 5K in the morning and then I'll probably do some trail rucking this weekend.  :upthumb:

This morning was a work 5K "fun run".
Come home, went to the gym and crushed legs!!!

I'll be hobbling this weekend  :train:

I'm on day 10 of the Whole30 diet. Trying it out in support of my wife's efforts. No dairy, sugar, legumes, grains or any processed foods for 30 days. Feeling great at day 10, although I will admit it is tough to stick to this diet of having literally NOTHING to eat! I find myself in my office at lunch eating plain turkey meat and plain carrots and if I'm really feeling wild maybe I'll have some salted almonds. I've never eaten this "clean" before and it feels really good. It is tough, but easier than I thought it would be.

I am also sticking to my increased gym routine of 6 days per week. Last night I had a great back & biceps workout and helped coach my wife through her second day at the gym. I have no doubt I'll be in the best shape of my life come September! I hope you are all able to find the motivation to do the same and share your success stories.

Bull_Fighter said:
I'm on day 10 of the Whole30 diet. Trying it out in support of my wife's efforts. No dairy, sugar, legumes, grains or any processed foods for 30 days. Feeling great at day 10, although I will admit it is tough to stick to this diet of having literally NOTHING to eat! I find myself in my office at lunch eating plain turkey meat and plain carrots and if I'm really feeling wild maybe I'll have some salted almonds. I've never eaten this "clean" before and it feels really good. It is tough, but easier than I thought it would be.

I am also sticking to my increased gym routine of 6 days per week. Last night I had a great back & biceps workout and helped coach my wife through her second day at the gym. I have no doubt I'll be in the best shape of my life come September! I hope you are all able to find the motivation to do the same and share your success stories.

Way to go! It sounds like you're killing it.  :upthumb:
I'm with you, I'll be a year older, but I'll be in the best shape of my life for this hunt!!!!

I've still been running six days a week, but three days ago my knee began to hurt while running. It's been getting worse each day when I run, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to slow things down a bit unfortunately. I've still got the same goals, it just might take a little longer to get there. Luckily I started when I did instead of waiting until the summer!

As a side note, anyone ever deal with 'Runner's Knee' before? It sounds like exactly what I'm dealing with.

cohunter14 said:
I've still been running six days a week, but three days ago my knee began to hurt while running. It's been getting worse each day when I run, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to slow things down a bit unfortunately. I've still got the same goals, it just might take a little longer to get there. Luckily I started when I did instead of waiting until the summer!

As a side note, anyone ever deal with 'Runner's Knee' before? It sounds like exactly what I'm dealing with.

Nice job with the running! I just took up running a couple years ago after a lifetime of hating it. I've been wondering when I'm going to start getting running injuries like this, but (knock on wood) hope it never happens! My son runs HS cross country and track and has similar knee pain when he trains hard (running). From what we've been able to find out, it sounds like it may be an issue with his "gait" and the way his foot hits the ground (pronation?). There's a running shop here in Boise with some fancy gadgets that can measure how your foot lands and the recommend a certain type of shoe to counteract whatever is "wrong" with your gait. Just a thought. Maybe you need some new shoes or inserts to help make things land more comfortably.

Bull_Fighter said:
Nice job with the running! I just took up running a couple years ago after a lifetime of hating it. I've been wondering when I'm going to start getting running injuries like this, but (knock on wood) hope it never happens! My son runs HS cross country and track and has similar knee pain when he trains hard (running). From what we've been able to find out, it sounds like it may be an issue with his "gait" and the way his foot hits the ground (pronation?). There's a running shop here in Boise with some fancy gadgets that can measure how your foot lands and the recommend a certain type of shoe to counteract whatever is "wrong" with your gait. Just a thought. Maybe you need some new shoes or inserts to help make things land more comfortably.
Thanks for the info Bull Fighter! I'm definitely up for some new shoes so I'll have to look into that. Appreciate it!

302f51b7707f0cd8ae4c96c6d4b7ce7a.jpg

Shot a 3D tourney today.  It felt really good

I missed out on my workout yesterday because I was shooting so I did back and chest today. Then a long cardio, core, and ab workout! I am TOAST now! It feels good

Nice job on the 3D shoot Dan!

Well, my running is being put on hold for the time being. Gave it a day off and went for a 1.5 mile run on Friday. The run felt good on the knee, but it?s been really sore since. Time to come up with a new plan of attack.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back